none
DAC on Cluster - DAC or Remote DAC RRS feed

• Question

• Fellow SQLers,

In my reading I understand that on a Cluster the DAC is NOT enabled by default.

1 - So, on a Cluster can you enable the NON REMOTE DAC version?

2 - I understand that all doco indicates to use Remote DAC on a cluster. With that said, can you still use SSMS on the cluster to use the remote DAC?

Thanks,

MG

• Edited by mg101 Thursday, August 8, 2019 7:29 PM error in working
    Thursday, August 8, 2019 5:12 PM

Answers

• Hi mg101,

>> So, on a Cluster can you enable the NON REMOTE DAC version?

On cluster configurations, the DAC will be off by default. Users can execute the remote admin connection option of sp_configure to enable the DAC listener to access a remote connection. If SQL Server is unresponsive and the DAC listener is not enabled, you might have to restart SQL Server to connect with the DAC. Therefore, we recommend that you enable the remote admin connections configuration option on clustered systems.

>> I understand that all doco indicates to use Remote DAC on a cluster. With that said, can you still use SSMS on the cluster to use the remote DAC?

Please refer to Dedicated Admin Connection(DAC) from SSMS and SQL Server Dedicated Admin Connection (DAC) – how to enable, connect and use.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by YKN123 Friday, August 9, 2019 9:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by mg101 Friday, August 9, 2019 12:25 PM
    Friday, August 9, 2019 6:31 AM

All replies

• You can check if DAC is available using

select state_desc from sys.tcp_endpoints where name = 'Dedicated Admin Connection'

Thursday, August 8, 2019 8:38 PM
  • Hi mg101,

>> So, on a Cluster can you enable the NON REMOTE DAC version?

On cluster configurations, the DAC will be off by default. Users can execute the remote admin connection option of sp_configure to enable the DAC listener to access a remote connection. If SQL Server is unresponsive and the DAC listener is not enabled, you might have to restart SQL Server to connect with the DAC. Therefore, we recommend that you enable the remote admin connections configuration option on clustered systems.

>> I understand that all doco indicates to use Remote DAC on a cluster. With that said, can you still use SSMS on the cluster to use the remote DAC?

Please refer to Dedicated Admin Connection(DAC) from SSMS and SQL Server Dedicated Admin Connection (DAC) – how to enable, connect and use.

Best regards,
    Cathy 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by YKN123 Friday, August 9, 2019 9:54 AM
    Friday, August 9, 2019 6:31 AM
  • HI Kevin, What exactly is this showing me? For me, it just shows "Started".   We are on a failover cluster. By default basic DAC is disable on a SQL Cluster.

Thx MG

Friday, August 9, 2019 12:24 PM
  • Thx Cathy

• Unmarked as answer by mg101 Friday, August 9, 2019 12:25 PM
    Friday, August 9, 2019 12:25 PM
  • Hi MG, before you edited your question, from what I remember you asked how to tell if the DAC in use. The query shows the DAC endpoint is started. Although it says started, it doesn't always imply that you can connect locally i.e. clusters and with express edition requires trace flag 7806 are examples. Confusing I know.
    Friday, August 9, 2019 7:52 PM
  • thx Kevin
    Saturday, August 10, 2019 2:20 PM