8.1 Preview on SurfaceRT - Error - "The update is not applicable to your computer." RRS feed

• Question

• When i download the WindowsRT Update to enable Windows8.1 preview on my surface RT i get an error saying:

"The update is not applicable to your computer."

The tablet is a SurfaceRT 64GB and I have confirmed this happens on multiple surfaces, the update name is "Windows8-RT-KB2849636-arm" I have changed system languages to English (US) and removed English(Australia) and still no joy. There are no errors or relevent messages i can see in the event log in system or application. The tablet is plugged into mains power and is 100% charged. All available updates have been installed.  Any updates on what is happening or how this can be fixed? Very eager to get this going to show clients etc who have been holding off because they did not like 8. 

Damian

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:03 PM

Answers

• I have an Australian Surface RT and did the following to get it working:

1. Place and rename the MSU file in an easily accessible place, e.g. C:\8RTpreview\preview.msu

2. open command prompt in administrator mode.

3. Type: Expand –F:* C:\8RTpreview\preview.msu C:\8RTpreview\

4. Type: DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\8RTpreview\Windows8-RT-KB2849636-arm.cab

I would also suggest changing your region/location settings temporarily to US when you are doing this. This makes sure the store allows you to download the update after you restart the Surface. You can change these via Control Panel.
    • Edited by Clinton Cherry Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:52 AM Additional help
    • Marked as answer by Damian Guppy Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:56 AM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:46 AM

All replies

• Same problem here on custom-built PC with Windows 8 ProWMC. Maybe I'll try the ISO version of Windows 8.1 Preview when it's available.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:36 PM
  • i got Windows8-RT-KB2849636-x64 and it says that too and i got windows 8 pro x64 with media center
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:37 PM
  • Same issue here on SurfaceRT UK version,

Also attempted the language pack changes to no avail

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Removed my post. I get it too on a Laptop which is x64 Windows 8 Pro. Straight after the update check

Maybe their servers arent working and causing a red herring?

One link of note: http://www.neowin.net/news/warning-not-all-windows-8-or-rt-pcs-can-run-windows-81-preview
    • Edited by Tom McClean Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:50 PM added ref
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:41 PM
  • Same here @ Surface RT
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:50 PM
  • I saw a note on the download page saying the update for 8.1 Preview is not currently supported on some devices with newer Intel Atom processors. It also said they are working on it and hope to see it fixed while still in preview mode to where it can be installed. Also, update package is not compatible with 8 Enterprise, you have to use the ISO for that.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Same here with HP g6 Laptop running Windows 8 Pro joined to domain and same thing on Surface RT 32GB...I've tried language packs install/uninstall but still no good.

Both devices are up to date with windows updates.

I did manage to get the "Windows8-RT-KB2849636-x64.msu" to install on the laptop, but after a reboot the text on windows store was corrupt with weird symbols. I removed the KB2849636 update again and it all returned to normal, but the original problem remains.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:43 PM
  • Hi Folks,

according to MS FAQ:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/preview-faq 

"Warning

In order to use Windows 8.1 Preview you must sign in to your PC with a Microsoft account. The option to create a local account will be made available at the final release of Windows 8.1."

I have the same error and use local accounts (what else would one want to use?!) and guess this is the issue that makes this update not to work properly :(

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:53 PM
  • Hi

There is currently a known issue for the Windows 8.1 RT update.

Keep checking the store, it should be fixed soon.

Regards

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:12 PM
  • I had the same problem with Surface RT. I tried changing the language (was in en-gb, tried to set it back to fr-fr as I'm in France), but the update was still refused.

Had to reset Windows (Settings / General / Remove everything and reinstall Windows), it worked afterwards, the update is currently installing.

Maybe you should try a reset first (Settings / General / Refresh your PC without affecting your files), we never know. Let us know if it works...

Nicolas.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:24 PM
  • i got microsoft account and i got not applicable computer, then i did some command promt commands to get it installed and whent fine and i got it to show in store but now it just says win 8.1 preview is not available right now. please try again later. gg Ms
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:49 PM
  • I had the same problem with Surface RT. I tried changing the language (was in en-gb, tried to set it back to fr-fr as I'm in France), but the update was still refused.

Had to reset Windows (Settings / General / Remove everything and reinstall Windows), it worked afterwards, the update is currently installing.

Maybe you should try a reset first (Settings / General / Refresh your PC without affecting your files), we never know. Let us know if it works...

Nicolas.

@Nicolas

Got same problem on the Surface RT

Please let us know if your install of 8.1 works after you did the "full reinstall" of win8 on the Surface.

Many thanks

James

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:51 PM
  • Same here man on my Win 8 Pro 32bit!!! Dunno whats the problem. Don't have any language packs installed. Maybe i'll try their iso files when they're available

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:41 PM
  • As an update to my specific problem. It looks like the Australian Surfaces shipped with EN-GB as the default system language installed, however the update only supports EN-US english, I am trying to find a way to change the base system language, I have downloaded the EN-US language pack and removed the EN-AU language pack, and changed system language in control panel, but DISM still reports it is EN-GB. Does anyone know a magic powershell command that can fix this?

Damian

Thursday, June 27, 2013 12:16 AM
  • I have an Australian Surface RT and did the following to get it working:

1. Place and rename the MSU file in an easily accessible place, e.g. C:\8RTpreview\preview.msu

2. open command prompt in administrator mode.

3. Type: Expand –F:* C:\8RTpreview\preview.msu C:\8RTpreview\

4. Type: DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\8RTpreview\Windows8-RT-KB2849636-arm.cab

I would also suggest changing your region/location settings temporarily to US when you are doing this. This makes sure the store allows you to download the update after you restart the Surface. You can change these via Control Panel.
    • Edited by Clinton Cherry Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:52 AM Additional help
    • Marked as answer by Damian Guppy Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:56 AM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:46 AM
  • Thanks for that Clinton, can confirm it worked on my Australian SurfaceRT as well, this was exactly the kind of solution I was looking for :)

I will mark this answered, but WARNING to any non-technical users out there, try this at your own risk as this will be unsupported by microsoft, and you may break your surface by following this guide etc.

Damian

Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:56 AM
  • http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-windows_install/error-the-update-is-not-applicable-to-your/4d4b64fd-c292-452d-ac2d-49f31e870a42

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:12 AM
  • This is so frustrating!

I have an Australian Microsoft Surface RT 64GB.

I successfully used your instructions above. However, when I try and download the Windows RT 8.1 Preview from the Windows Store I keep getting this message:

Store

The Windows 8.1 Preview isn't available right now. Please try again later.

I've changed Locale and Language to United States (English) etc as well.

I've tried instructions on another site to clear the Windows Store Cache, Close it and Start it again, but no luck.

Seriously, why is it this hard for something so simple?

• Edited by SevenRules Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:45 AM grammar
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:33 AM