none
Best tutorial for SSRS with SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Services using AdventureWorks sample data and RS sample reports? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm an SSRS newbie, and I need to (quickly) get the AdventureWorks2008R2 sample data loaded into SQL Server 2008 R2 Express (with Advanced Services) running on Windows 7 (not on a Windows server), and access that data using some Reporting Services sample reports.

My immediate goal is to "simply" understand how to export (push) reports to Word (or pull reports into Word), and the options to programmatically do this (and an estimate of the work involved)... I don't need to initially understand the details about how to define a report from-scratch (thus my hope to use sample reports that access AdventureWorks).   

But at this point, I simply need an environment with sample data and sample reports that actually works! 

I just now got to a dead-end on my third "getting-started" tutorial of the day. Apparently, some of the tutorials won't work on Windows 7, some require shared data (?) which is (or isn't?) supported on SQLExpress, some require filestream support (?), all are somewhat out-of-date (most circa 2010), and none fully disclose their prerequisites.  But I don't learn this until I've wasted a an hour or more and then discover a fatal problem.

In each case, I must be missing something basic, but since the tutorials I've found were (likely) not intended for my exact environment, I don't know if that's the problem, or there's something I've done wrong. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

DadCat

Monday, August 6, 2012 9:25 PM

All replies