none
SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016 Upgrade or Migrate RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of upgrading SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016.  What I've done so far is attach the SharePoint 2010 db into Sharepoint 2013 environment, completed the mount and upgrade.  However, it looks horrible in SharePoint 2013.  The company template, web parts are broken, etc.  What are the benefits of upgrading vs. migrating?  Is it better to redesign/build the site in SharePoint 2016 and use a third party tool to migrate the data?  I haven't looked at the workflows yet.  Can Workflows and MySites be migrated or is that an upgrade?

Any recommendations, tips, best practices?

Thank you.
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:13 PM

Answers

• Database Migration is the free and best because there it won't break much until unless the feature is deprecated / removed. usually it shouldn't break anything i think it might be some glitch. but if you use 3rd party tools it will migrate but you face issues there as well because even 3rd party tools won't support for custom forms. Yes workflows and mysites will be migrated via database migration as well.

Best would be Database Migration only.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:48 PM
  • Hi C1TonyB,

For the custom template and web part solutions, we need to add, deploy and install these solutions in the new farm.

For 2010 workflows and my sites, you would just migrate the content databases and upgrade to the new version.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, October 18, 2019 6:26 AM

All replies

• Database Migration is the free and best because there it won't break much until unless the feature is deprecated / removed. usually it shouldn't break anything i think it might be some glitch. but if you use 3rd party tools it will migrate but you face issues there as well because even 3rd party tools won't support for custom forms. Yes workflows and mysites will be migrated via database migration as well.

Best would be Database Migration only.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:48 PM
  • Hi C1TonyB,

For the custom template and web part solutions, we need to add, deploy and install these solutions in the new farm.

For 2010 workflows and my sites, you would just migrate the content databases and upgrade to the new version.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, October 18, 2019 6:26 AM
  • Hi C1TonyB,

Is there any update?

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer to help other community members to find the information quickly.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Monday, October 28, 2019 8:53 AM
  • Hi C1TonyB,

Thanks for marking my reply as answer. I’m pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. I hope you are delighted with the service we provided you.

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information.

[SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016 Upgrade or Migrate]

Environment

====================

SharePoint 2013

Question

====================

On the process of migrating from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2016, company template, web parts are broken, C1TonyB wants to know that is it better to redesign/build the site in SharePoint 2016 and use a third party tool to migrate the data? And can Workflows and My Sites be migrated or is that an upgrade?

Solution

====================

Based on the reply from sharath aluri, the best method would be Database Migration only, because there it won't break much until unless the feature is deprecated / removed. And workflows and my sites will be migrated via database migration as well.

Based on the reply from Grace, for the custom template and web part solutions, we need to add, deploy and install these solutions in the new farm. For 2010 workflows and my sites, you would just migrate the content databases and upgrade to the new version.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 1:41 AM