A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process.
Having encountered this error and not seeing a good answer on this (very old) question, I wrote a blog entry that describes an easy fix. It does involve candy and/or roses though.
"A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.)"
- Moved by Bob Beauchemin Saturday, July 02, 2011 2:15 AM Moved to a more appropriate forum (From:.NET Framework inside SQL Server)
First I have to thank you for your link. It took me over 40 minutes of searching to find your REAL FIX to the problem. You state, "No, it has nothing to do with named pipes or TCP/IP protocols or using wireless connections or VPNs" Which were all the fixes I found before coming across this page and your link that explains the fix.
(No, it has nothing to do with named pipes or TCP/IP protocols or using wireless connections or VPNs)
I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to hunt or figure out fixes based on poor information.
In the last 10+ years I have not seen any improvement on "expert" tips on how to fix problems. I have almost always had to modify the claimed fix if not rework it completely. The fixes more often then not gave me ideas to try.
My question for you, is how did you find this. This one I would not have figured out had I not been told. I never would have thought it was the number of connections. My number of connections was set to 5 and I was the only one trying to make a connection, so I would never have thought it was that. (I would have set the number higher before putting it to production and why it was set to 5, I have no idea)
I hope you answer, At the very least I hope you see this Thank You.
I tried to register on that blog site, but I am getting an error. Is the site still open for new registrations?
I dont expect you to fix this, it is just an FYI
Error sending mail (Error sending mail: smtp.betav.com not found connect to localhost failed (Unknown error) connect to localhost failed connect to localhost failed (Unknown error) no (more) retries! )
I came across the same error and what worked for me was to Run the command "CliConfg" without the double quotation marks on the pc getting the error.
This opens the SQL Server Client Network Utility. I had all the relevant protocols selected on the right hand pane like TCP/IP and Named Pipes and I also had an option called "Force protocol encryption" which was checked. As soon as I unchecked "Force protocol encryption" and tested the connection again it worked!
I hope this helps someone.