none
What are the different between communication site and team site ? RRS feed

• Question

• hi all

i have question !

What are the different between communication site and team site ?

i need Specific definition

thx you

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 2:01 PM

Answers

• One clear difference is that when you create a Communication Site, you have all created for you: home page customized based on the template chosen, navigation, etc....can you achieve this with a Team Site? Yes, but you have to do it by yourself.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

• Marked as answer by Ahmed..Yehia Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:13 PM
    Tuesday, September 3, 2019 2:04 PM
  • Hi Ahmed,

SharePoint communication sites is a great place and very powerful platform to do the below list of things seamlessly with less effort:

1. Sharing news / rolling up news to the top sites easily
    2. generating reports
    3. Sharing information easily it is just few mouse clicks away
    4. Default designed / organized landing pages
    5. 100% handy for senior management
    6. 100% mobile view compatibility
    7. You get a modern, widescreen (no left-hand side navigation) site that allows you to build a visually appealing page

Best Use cased for Communication sites:

• An Intranet Landing Page. In my opinion, Communication Site template is great for the main Intranet site where you post company-wide events, announcements, weather, and common links
    • A company event that you want to share with and communicate to employees (i.e., Christmas Party or Company BBQ)
    • Department employee-facing site (i.e., HR Site where users can get HR info and download benefits/policies documents)
    • Company or Department status updates (i.e., Sales Site with embedded sales reports and dashboards that are to be shared with the whole company)
    • New Product Launch Site (i.e., Marketing Site with new product images, brochures, and announcements)
      Any site that needs to be visually appealing, yet, does not require an Office 365 Group

For more insight about modern team sites:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-is-a-sharepoint-communication-site-94a33429-e580-45c3-a090-5512a8070732

Modern team sites in SPO:

Modern team sites in SPO is also equally powerful other than the below:

1. You will have to write customize the landing page to hide the left navigation
    2. Mostly for organizing team level activities
    3. limited visibility and features when you compare with communication sites.

My personal advise is go for communication sites as it is a superset of team sites in modern SharePoint world.

Regards,

Krishna

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:40 PM
  • Hi Ahmed..Yehia,

A SharePoint team site connects you and your team to the content, information, and apps you rely on every day.

For example, you can use a team site to store and collaborate on files or to create and manage lists of information.

A SharePoint community is a site that uses the Community Site template to provision pages, web parts, lists, and any other resources required for the community.

It is a virtual place where ideas are discussed and shared. It promotes open communication by fostering discussions among users who both share their expertise and learn from others. There is a reward system that can encourage active participation.

The difference between team site and community site is the different usage of the team site and community site.

More references:

What is a SharePoint team site?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-is-a-sharepoint-team-site-75545757-36c3-46a7-beed-0aaa74f0401e

Create a community.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-community-8b6bb936-7ebc-4e60-b8ab-2d4897499af9

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:45 AM

All replies

• One clear difference is that when you create a Communication Site, you have all created for you: home page customized based on the template chosen, navigation, etc....can you achieve this with a Team Site? Yes, but you have to do it by yourself.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 2:04 PM
  • Hi Ahmed,

SharePoint communication sites is a great place and very powerful platform to do the below list of things seamlessly with less effort:

1. Sharing news / rolling up news to the top sites easily
    2. generating reports
    3. Sharing information easily it is just few mouse clicks away
    4. Default designed / organized landing pages
    5. 100% handy for senior management
    6. 100% mobile view compatibility
    7. You get a modern, widescreen (no left-hand side navigation) site that allows you to build a visually appealing page

Best Use cased for Communication sites:

• An Intranet Landing Page. In my opinion, Communication Site template is great for the main Intranet site where you post company-wide events, announcements, weather, and common links
    • A company event that you want to share with and communicate to employees (i.e., Christmas Party or Company BBQ)
    • Department employee-facing site (i.e., HR Site where users can get HR info and download benefits/policies documents)
    • Company or Department status updates (i.e., Sales Site with embedded sales reports and dashboards that are to be shared with the whole company)
    • New Product Launch Site (i.e., Marketing Site with new product images, brochures, and announcements)
      Any site that needs to be visually appealing, yet, does not require an Office 365 Group

For more insight about modern team sites:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-is-a-sharepoint-communication-site-94a33429-e580-45c3-a090-5512a8070732

Modern team sites in SPO:

Modern team sites in SPO is also equally powerful other than the below:

1. You will have to write customize the landing page to hide the left navigation
    2. Mostly for organizing team level activities
    3. limited visibility and features when you compare with communication sites.

My personal advise is go for communication sites as it is a superset of team sites in modern SharePoint world.

Regards,

Krishna

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:40 PM
  • Hi Ahmed..Yehia,

A SharePoint team site connects you and your team to the content, information, and apps you rely on every day.

For example, you can use a team site to store and collaborate on files or to create and manage lists of information.

A SharePoint community is a site that uses the Community Site template to provision pages, web parts, lists, and any other resources required for the community.

It is a virtual place where ideas are discussed and shared. It promotes open communication by fostering discussions among users who both share their expertise and learn from others. There is a reward system that can encourage active participation.

The difference between team site and community site is the different usage of the team site and community site.

More references:

What is a SharePoint team site?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-is-a-sharepoint-team-site-75545757-36c3-46a7-beed-0aaa74f0401e

Create a community.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-community-8b6bb936-7ebc-4e60-b8ab-2d4897499af9

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:45 AM