none
SharePoint Online ---- need to implement Left hand side navigation for site with List heading and its List URLS , Library Heading and all Library URLS below and Subsite heading with all Subsite Name and URLS RRS feed

• Question

• We need to implement Left hand side navigation for site with List heading and its List URLS , Library Heading and all Library URLS below and Subsite heading with all Subsite Name and URLS  ---- SharePoint Online left hand side navigation for the Modern UI Home page

It has to query from the site contents of the site and display like below in the left hand navigation automatically. Is there anyone can help me out with the solution for it. Thanks 

^List

List1

List2

List3

^Library

Library1

Library2

^Subsite

Subsite1

Subsite2

VVVVVVVVVVVV

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 8:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,SharePoint Developers,

Per my knowledge, the behavior of ordering new sub sites link is by-design. You may post you ideas in uservoice about handling this behavior. 

The suggestion I can give is to finish creating sub-sites first.  Construct the order of navigation of the top-level site. Then use the script to make all sub-sites inherit the navigation from the parent site. 

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:30 AM

All replies

• Hi, SharePoint Developers,

According to your description, you want to make all lists/libraries available in the left navigation. You can try structural navigation in your site. This is the out-of-the-box navigation used by default and is the most straightforward solution but as such has an expensive performance trade-off. It does not require any customization and a non-technical user can also easily add items, hide items, and manage the navigation from the settings page.

In the navigation settings page you can easily edit the order of items. There is no OOB feature to auto order, the available sort options are by Title/Created Time/Last Modified Time. 

Note: Using Structural Navigation will impact performance and scalability Subject to throttling.  

You can get more information here.

Best Regards

Jerry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:03 AM
  • I have already tried this option.

But when i try to create a new subsite that willnot append automatically to the left navigation. instead it creates as an separate ^Subsite1 in the left navigation

I want to make it same everywhere in all the subsites providing the List and Libraries and Subsite fetching it automatically when you create new List/Libraries/Subsite

This has to be done for all the site collection in my SPO tenant. Any custom solution to do it ?

VVVVVVVVVVVV

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 1:50 PM

You can go to the site settings in Sub sites and set it to display the navigation items from the parent site. If you have large number of sub sites, please have a check on this blog. It will help you to write a script to do the settings in bulk.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards

Jerry

Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:55 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. 

Main problem with the structural navigation is like.

After doing this change. Subsites are not coming under like List and Libraries. Subsites has to be restructured.

Whenever the new subsites gets created it will come as separate ^Test01

That's why is there anyways that we can do this settings by scripting to update that page automatically for the subsite as well. so that it will be unique everywhere. 

VVVVVVVVVVVV

Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:05 PM

Per my knowledge, the behavior of ordering new sub sites link is by-design. You may post you ideas in uservoice about handling this behavior. 

The suggestion I can give is to finish creating sub-sites first.  Construct the order of navigation of the top-level site. Then use the script to make all sub-sites inherit the navigation from the parent site. 

Best Regards

Jerry

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:30 AM