none
Remove login credentials from web query RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    Recently I managed to connect to an excel file on a website using Web Query (Get External Data From Web).

The website requires a username & password to access the XLSX file.

This worked fine. 

However, before the Web Query, I used a hyperlink in Excel to this website and this took me to the stnadard webbrowser where I had to input my username & password and when connected the xlsx was downloaded to my pc. I prefer this method because then I can refresh data in the start file using power query with an extract from the file that was downloaded. I do not need to open the excel file.

Since the successful web query, the login data is somewhere present in excel and when I use the hyperlink to the website, this opens the file everytime.

Where is this login data hiding and how can I remove this?

Thank you in advance for you help.

Regards,

Dirk Verliefden.

Monday, June 15, 2020 6:02 AM

Answers

• Hi Dirk. You can look in PQ's Data Source Settings to see if a credential is stored there for the website. If there's nothing there, then my guess would be that the site login is being maintained by a cookie stored in IE. In that case, you could try clearing your browser cookies to see if the auto-login stops happening.

Either way, the credentials are not being stored in the Excel file itself. PQ stores all creds in a user-specific location, and IE stores its cookies in a similar way.

The only case where creds would be stored in the Excel workbook file would be if you embedded them into the website URL or somehow included them in your M script (via an API key or something similar). In this case, you would need to modify your M code to omit this information.

Ehren

Monday, June 15, 2020 11:37 PM
    Owner