none
Backup tool RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for a tool that would make a smaller disk space because at the moment I have very lage data to back up daily (210g) and I need a tool that would be more managable and also less time consuming.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 4:27 PM

Answers

• RedGate, Idera, and Quest all have tools that compress the backups of SQL Server Databases.  I have tested the Quest and Idera tools, and they both work really well.  It is all a matter of what you want to use.  The Quest tools have more mainstream use, but the Idera ones can be cheaper to purchase.  You kind of need to do your own testing to determine which will meet your needs.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 5:29 PM

All replies

• RedGate, Idera, and Quest all have tools that compress the backups of SQL Server Databases.  I have tested the Quest and Idera tools, and they both work really well.  It is all a matter of what you want to use.  The Quest tools have more mainstream use, but the Idera ones can be cheaper to purchase.  You kind of need to do your own testing to determine which will meet your needs.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008 5:29 PM
  • My backup compression tool of choice is Hyperbac.  All the tools will perform differently on different databases and environments, so it's worth testing a number of them.  I believe all the options have a free trial period.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 4:47 AM