Error 1 Error loading Package.dtsx: Failed to decrypt protected XML node "PackagePassword" with error 0x8009000B "Key not valid for use in specified state. RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning All,

I'm trying to edit a package that was created by a different user. I want to do some minor editions and when i opened the package in BIDS i'm getting the following error.

"Error 1 Error loading Package.dtsx: Failed to decrypt protected XML node "PackagePassword" with error 0x8009000B "Key not valid for use in specified state.". You may not be authorized to access this information. This error occurs when there is a cryptographic error. Verify that the correct key is available.   F:\Tools\SSIS\MonthlyProcess\MonthlyProcess\Package.dtsx 1 1 

Can anyone please guide me as how to edit the package. I tried changing the PROTECTION LEVEL of the package to "Server Storage" and i'm getting the following message.

"

TITLE: Microsoft Visual Studio
    ------------------------------

Failure saving package.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Failed to apply package protection with error 0xC0014061 "The protection level, ServerStorage, cannot be used when saving to this destination. The system could not verify that the destination supports secure storage capability.". This error occurs when saving to Xml.
     (Package)

Failed to apply package protection with error 0xC0014061 "The protection level, ServerStorage, cannot be used when saving to this destination. The system could not verify that the destination supports secure storage capability.". This error occurs when saving to Xml.
     (Package)

BUTTONS:

OK

Thanks

SV

• Moved by Darren GosbellMVP Wednesday, January 9, 2013 2:02 AM This is an SSIS question (From:SQL Server Analysis Services)
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 3:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• They probably used either protect sensitive with user key or protect all with user key package protection option.

If they used protect all you are going to be out of luck I believe that package will only run from their machine.  If they used protect sensitive then you should still be able to view and edit the package, but will have to enter security information for any data connections.

• Edited by GSS138 Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:01 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 4:01 PM
  • Thanks GSS138, but the person who developed the package is no longer with us and based on the new requirements i need to make some changes. I have the security information for the data connections like the user id and passwords. But in BIDS i open the package i get the error messages and when i tested the data connections and tried to save it i get the same error message that i posted in my first post.

SV

Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:42 PM
  •   What protection level does the package say it is?  Should be in the package properties. 

Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Encrypt using sensitive key

SV

Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Basically the connection information is encrypted with a user key which is specific to that machine and that username.  There may be a way around it. 

First I would try changing the protection level to don't save sensitive.  See if that works.

If not I would try deleting the connection and just adding a new one.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to either:

1. Login into the original Dev machine with that the original dev username and change the protection level.

2. Just recreate the package by just  copying and pasting the components into a new dtsx package.

And also, unless that dev was specifically instructed to set that protection level (which I doubt he was) be glad hes gone.

• Edited by GSS138 Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:04 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Thanks GSS138 i will follow the instructions and get back with you.

SV

Thursday, January 3, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Hi saivenkat77,

Based on my research, here are some similar threads about this issue for your reference, please see:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlintegrationservices/thread/40d7b04b-f7e6-49f1-83bb-7b72d8453ab6
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/97326188-608b-4b45-85b9-f0c45e59187c

We discuss Analysis Services related issue in this forum. If you have any more questions about Integration Services, I suggest you post them in SQL Server Integration Services forum for better support.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Friday, January 11, 2013 1:15 AM
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:48 AM