none
CDC for Oracle by Attunity stuck at status Logger RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have asked this question on the MSDN Server Tools forum (CDC for Oracle byAttunity stuck at status Logger), where I was advised to post in the SSIS forum, and on the Attunity forum (ORACDC514E:Failed to add redo log with sequence xxx) where I have not received a response.

Note: The issue below was not identified using the SSIS approach to CDC.  In any case, someone may be able to help as the issue appears to be with reading the Oracle logs...?

Oracle CDC instance has started but then goes to status LOGGER with status message "Trying to retrieve next change record from source database".

The trace shows entries

• type ERROR ORACDC514E:Failed to add redo log with sequence xxx
      • where xxx is a value one more than the current log sequence on the Oracle database
    • type TRACE ORACDC000T:Error encountered at set position - EOF simulated
    • type ERROR ORACDC511E:The Oracle CDC failed to position

What causes this?  And what do I do to resolve it?

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 2:33 PM

Answers

• We have identified a solution for this...

There are some Oracle-side privileges that are missing from the Microsoft Oracle-user-roles Documentation. Specifically:

GRANT SELECT ON V_$INSTANCE TO <USER>;
    GRANT EXECUTE_CATALOG_ROLE TO <USER>;
    GRANT LOGMINING TO <USER>;

Having applied the last of these (the Logmining privilege) the CDC instance started to work.
    • Marked as answer by JohnMPSC Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:06 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:06 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

http://forums.attunity.com/forums/change-data-capture-oracle-attunity/oracdc514e-failed-add-redo-log-sequence-2241.html must be the answer:

"change the database to run in ARCHIVELOG mode. You can do that by running the following:

ALTER DATABASE ARCHIVELOG;"

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:06 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I don't have direct access to the Oracle database myself but I've been advised that the database is running in ARCHIVELOG mode.  Also, the script provided by the feature to add the Supplemental Log Groups has been run successfully.

Regards,

John M

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:14 PM
  • Hi John M,

Please refer to How To Maintain and/or Add Redo Logs .

Best Regards,

Mona Lv

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 13, 2019 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

I can confirm the ARCHIVELOG mode is enabled.

Result of Log Status query is:

GROUP# MEMBER STATUS BYTES ARCHIVED
    5  +DATA/DEV/ONLINELOG/group_5.953.1004373489 CURRENT 536870912  NO
    5  +FRA/DEV/ONLINELOG/group_5.1753.1004373489  CURRENT 536870912  NO
    4  +DATA/DEV/ONLINELOG/group_4.937.1004373485 INACTIVE 536870912  YES
    4  +FRA/DEV/ONLINELOG/group_4.710.1004373487 INACTIVE 536870912  YES

CDC Attunity status still showing as LOGGER...

Thursday, June 13, 2019 12:03 PM
  • Since Attunity is a commercial offering contact their support, and/or see if their forum has any issue like yours resolved.

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Saturday, June 15, 2019 8:20 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

Attunity have advised that "the Microsoft OEM version of our CDC solution has some bespoke elements that my team will not be familiar with".

The CDC solution is delivered as part of Microsoft SQL Server 2017 Feature Pack - so should be supported by Microsoft!

Regards,

John M

Monday, June 17, 2019 8:15 AM
  • Hi John M,

Please refer to CDC Service failure - Trying to retrieve next change record from source database.

Best Regards,

Mona 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Hi Mona,

Thanks for contributing.

I had previously reviewed that forum post on the Attunity site as it appears to be precisely the same problem as I am encountering.  However, while one of the posters states that the problem was resolved, the thread does not identify a solution.

Regards,

John M

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 12:01 PM
  • Hi John M,

Experts in Forum: Change Data Capture for Oracle by Attunity will help you.

Best Regards,

Mona

MSDN Community Support

• Proposed as answer by ArthurZModerator Wednesday, June 19, 2019 1:10 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by JohnMPSC Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:05 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 10:01 AM
  • Hi Mona,

Experts on that forum advised that Microsoft had made changes to the product and that they would not be in a position to provide support.

Regards,

JohnM

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:05 PM
  • We have identified a solution for this...

There are some Oracle-side privileges that are missing from the Microsoft Oracle-user-roles Documentation. Specifically:

GRANT SELECT ON V_$INSTANCE TO <USER>;
    GRANT EXECUTE_CATALOG_ROLE TO <USER>;
    GRANT LOGMINING TO <USER>;

Having applied the last of these (the Logmining privilege) the CDC instance started to work.
    • Marked as answer by JohnMPSC Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:06 PM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2019 2:06 PM