none
PXE boot get files from wrong folder

Question

•       Dear.

I have a strange issue with the PXE boot. I made a trace with process monitor on the PXE distribution point and found the following:

After pressing F12, pxeboot.com will be downloaded from the PXE server from c:\RemoteInstall\SMSBoot\x64\pxeboot.com

Pxeboot.com starts on the VM and he downloads bootmgr.exe from PXE server from c:\RemoteInstall\SMSBoot\x64\bootmgr.exe

The boot manager starts on VM and tries to download files from the PXE server from c:\RemoteInstall\boot\fonts

But c:\RemoteInstall\boot\ doesn’t exists??

He also looks for c:\RemoteInstall\SMSBoot\x64\boot.ini which does not exist in that folder?

I reinstalled WDS, redeployed the DP from sccm, nothing helps. In SCCM, reporting says that all DPs are ok, all packages are deployed. But it seems that my \smsboot\ doesn’t have all necessary files and folders?

Regards, Peter

Peter Van Keymeulen, IT Infrastructure Solution Architect, www.edeconsulting.be
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 9:32 PM

Answers

• have you or someone else configured any dhcp bootfile settings ?

My Step by Step ConfigMgr Guides
    I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Dear. On your website, 4427-using-sccm-2012-rc-in-a-lab-part-2-add-sup-and-wds, you said that I do not need to install WDS, SCCM 2012 will do this during the DP installation, is that correct ??

Not completely correct how you state it..., it will install WDS at the moment that you enable PXE Support on the DP.
    My Blog: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/
    Follow me on twitter: pvanderwoude
    Friday, December 02, 2011 7:28 AM
  • I finally found the issue, actually, two issues.

The first one, the automatic reboot when displaying “preparing network connections”, came from the fact that I did not configured a password on the PXE server. I think I get a sort of access denied when connection the DP.

Second problem, able to PXE boot only once, seems to be an SCCM setting protecting the computer to boot a second time and destroy the partition.

I’m able to boot for a second time only when I clear the “required PXE deployments” . I have no clue about the real impact, but at least, it solved my issues.

Monday, December 05, 2011 10:11 AM

All replies

• ok what happens when you PXE boot a client ?

what errors are you seeing on the client ?

I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Thanks !

Immediately after pressing F12, I get a black screen with

File:        \boot\BCD 

Info:      an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

Seems to be logic because on the DP/PXE, I see the PXE process looking for the file c:\remoteinstal\boot\bcd. But this folder doesn’t exists. C:\remoteinstall\smsnoot exists.

Regards,

Peter

Thursday, December 01, 2011 10:46 PM
  • have you or someone else configured any dhcp bootfile settings ?

I'm on Twitter > ncbrady
    Thursday, December 01, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Yes I did:

067 = \smsboot\x64\pxeboot.com

066 = 10.0.0.198

this works, because when I put a typo error in the values is does no longer work.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 10:51 PM
  • Dear. On your website, 4427-using-sccm-2012-rc-in-a-lab-part-2-add-sup-and-wds, you said that I do not need to install WDS, SCCM 2012 will do this during the DP installation, is that correct ??

I installed WDS first, did not configured it, and then deployed the DP.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 11:02 PM

Not completely correct how you state it..., it will install WDS at the moment that you enable PXE Support on the DP.
    Friday, December 02, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Thanks Peter. In which log file can I check if the PXE facilities are installed successfully by enabling PXE on the DP?

Friday, December 02, 2011 8:33 AM
  • Found in the distmgr.log
    Friday, December 02, 2011 8:42 AM
  • In SCCM 2012 it's all in the distmgr.log

Friday, December 02, 2011 8:50 AM
  • If I de-install the DP role on a server through the sccm console, how long does it take before all sccm stuff has been removed from that DP?

The DP isn’t longer visible in the console, but nothing happens on the DP, all files and share are still there, ccmexec.exe process is still running.

Friday, December 02, 2011 9:23 AM
  • Peter, in the MS documentation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682077.aspx#BKMK_SupConfigSiteSystemReq , MS says that you need to install the WDS role on a DP role server ????

Can someone please tell me what the real requirements and installation procedures are to deploy the DP+PXE role to a dedicated Windows 2008R2 server ?? Deploy WDS or not ?? Before or after SCCM DP installation ???

Friday, December 02, 2011 9:46 AM
  • I finally found the issue, actually, two issues.

The first one, the automatic reboot when displaying “preparing network connections”, came from the fact that I did not configured a password on the PXE server. I think I get a sort of access denied when connection the DP.

Second problem, able to PXE boot only once, seems to be an SCCM setting protecting the computer to boot a second time and destroy the partition.

I’m able to boot for a second time only when I clear the “required PXE deployments” . I have no clue about the real impact, but at least, it solved my issues.

Monday, December 05, 2011 10:11 AM