1. My system has slowed down noticeably in loading applications and Word documents and additionally, my boot process
now unnecessarily carries out a 3-phase auto chkdsk of one of my 4 partitions (F:), each time finding no bad sectors or other damage and then completing the boot up uneventfully. (I also confirmed the fault-free status of my entire disk with a 5-phase chkdsk
2. The two troubles began when, on MS Updates prompt, I installed the following 8 updates on June 13, 2012:
(1) Cum. Security Update to IE.6 for XP (KB2699988).
(2) Security Update .Net Framework 2.0 SP2, Server 2003 and WinXPx86 (KB2656369).
(3) Security Update .Net Framework 2.0 SP2, Server 2003 and WinXPx86 (KB2686828).
(4) Security Update WinXP (KB2685939).
(5) Security Update WinXP (KB2707511).
(6) Security Update WinXP (KB2709162).
(7) Update Outlook 2007 Junk Email filter (KB2687267).
(8) Malicious Software Removal Tool June 2012.
3. The installation of the 8 was successful except in one case, Serial # (3) above, that of "Security Update .Net Framework 2.0 SP2,
Server 2003 and WinXPx86 (KB2686828)", which "failed to install" according to a Microsoft screen notice.
4. I would be grateful for any information or advice about this first of a kind event in my decade long experience with Windows XP.
5. My system:XP
Pro (SP 3) with a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600, Memory 4096 MB and two Graphic Cards: MSI 667-MD (1.0 GB D5) plus ATI Radeon HD 5670 (512 MB). Intel RealTek HDA card on Motherboard. Three-Monitor setup.
Microsoft is conducting an online survey to understand your opinion of the Technet Web site. If you choose to participate, the online survey will be presented to you when you leave the Technet Web site.