none
Clients not receiving new Software Metering Rules

Question

• Does anybody have any ideas on why my clients wouldn't be receiving new software metering rules? The eight or so rules that have been enabled for awhile are reporting back fine, but if I create any new rules they aren't received by the client. I have experimented with a new test machine and watched the mtrmgr.log and noticed that the eight or so that do work are listed as "New rule FSS001001 received successfully" and it does this on each of the old rules, but never loads the new ones. I have verified that the new rules are enabled.

Any ideas or suggestions on where to look?

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:39 PM

Answers

• Rayn1784

Please check your policypv.log to see if there are any errors.  If you see an error like this...

CPolicySource::HandleMeteringPolicy: could not retrieve metering rule RULECHG from
    SQL

... try removing the _POLICY_.RTA from <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\policypv.box

Under normal operation this file is created and deleted.

-Yvette
    Friday, July 24, 2009 8:53 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Do you have a multi-tier SCCM hierarchy?  Do you have "This rule applies to the specified site and all its child sites" checked on your software metering rules?

Nick.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:42 PM
  • No, it isn't multi-tier hierarchy but yes the "This rule applies to the specified site and all its child sites" is checked.

I tried a test earlier as well. I right-clicked on one of the rules that is working and chose "disable." I then waited some time and installed the client on a new test machine and watched the mtrmgr.log and the rule that I disabled still showed up "New rule FSS001004 received successfully." It appears to me it just isn't passing down the software metering rules to the clients. I have tried initiating all actions and have done these tests on test machines that previously didn't have the SMS client with the same results. All other functions (Hardware inventory, Software Inventory, etc.) seem to be working fine.

Thanks for any help.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:36 PM
  • You're saying that you never see the rule ID appear in the client log ... If you have doubts then you can use Client Spy in the ConfigMgr toolkit to see if they are in the clients policy.

Check to see if the MP has problems with SQL connectivity.

List of log files for the MP are here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb892800.aspx
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Well, I do see eight of them appear in the log, and I have confirmed that these eight show in the PolicySpy application. These eight are eight that we set up a long time ago when we first set up SCCM. I have since tried to add four more rules (several were just test rules) and these new rules do not show up in the log or policyspy. Also, when I disabled one of the original eight that is working, it didn't seem to actually send this new information down to the client as it is still showing that disabled rule as being applied on new clients and in policyspy. Its basically as though just the original rules are being used and passed down, and no new changes are being applied when I make a change or create a new rule.

Thanks for the link. I will see if I can find anything in any corresponding logs. Let me know if anyone else has any other ideas.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Rayn1784, you don't say if you checked the MP+SQL, and now you say no new content is appearing on the MP For the client to download. It sounds even more likely that it's a SQL connectivity problem, or alternatively a half-broken MP.

Do your check for MP+SQL, if it's not that then remove the MP and reinstall it.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Thanks for the help Marshall.

I don't think there is any SQL connectivity problems. Everything seems to be fine. I tried reinstalling the MP but that did not fix the problem. From looking around at log files I think the actual server may be working just fine. For instance, if I make a change to the software metering rules the \inboxes\swmproc.box\rules\meterrules.MRX shows the changes. \Logs\swmproc.log shows that the rule changes are being processed successfully and notes that the meterrules.MRX has been updated.

However, the clients still have the original eight rules and no changes are showing on the client. I tried seeing if any client changes were taking effect, for instance I disabled software metering completely, and it did pass that change down to the client and disabled software metering on the clients but after reenabling the rules were still the original eight and did not show the changes that I have recently made to client metering rules.

Still a little stumped.
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Rayn1784

Please check your policypv.log to see if there are any errors.  If you see an error like this...

CPolicySource::HandleMeteringPolicy: could not retrieve metering rule RULECHG from
    SQL

... try removing the _POLICY_.RTA from <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\inboxes\policypv.box

Under normal operation this file is created and deleted.

-Yvette
    Friday, July 24, 2009 8:53 PM
    Owner
  • Yvette,

Thank you so much! I did infact have that error in the log file. I had to delete both the _policy_.rta and the rulechg.rta files to resolve, but after doing so it is now working properly.

Thanks much!
    Ryan
    Friday, July 24, 2009 9:57 PM
  • For my case 

We have an issue for software metering process. When I check software meter box under corrupt folder it contains 10K files. When I review few of the MUX file it showed me like below. How to resolve. I have other ideas . Let me throw here to get best idea from you folks.

MUX File in server side:

EndTime before StartTime Detected
         Computer : 12345
         Application : Citrix Connection Center
         EXE : concentr.exe
         Verison : 14.4.0.8014
         ID : BD08FF17-68C3-4B2F-956F-480D7E8AA6B9
         Start : Mon 07-24-2017 12:18:17 PM
         End   : Mon 07-24-2017 09:53:04 AM

Regards

Gokulnath

14 hours 17 minutes ago