none
VMM agent install ended prematurely RRS feed

• Question

• Installing latest version of VMM agent on perimeter network.  I grabbed the latest off the VMM server Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008\agents\amd64\2.0.4275.0.  When I run the wizard I get all the way thru the menus and then when it starts the install i'm hit with the install ended prematurely. I've tried this on two different servers and cannot get this installed.  Never remembered having an issue before.
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 1:50 PM

Answers

• Please try to install VMM agent using command line

http://blogs.technet.com/b/chengw/archive/2008/09/08/install-and-uninstall-vmm-agent-on-windows-2008-server-core.aspx

• Marked as answer by G2T Thursday, October 7, 2010 9:03 PM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:40 PM

All replies

• can you please check evevnt viewer and see if you are having any info there ?
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 3:01 PM
  • All I get is 1040 Beginning a windows installer transaction and 1042 Ending a windows installer transaction
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Please try to install VMM agent using command line

http://blogs.technet.com/b/chengw/archive/2008/09/08/install-and-uninstall-vmm-agent-on-windows-2008-server-core.aspx

• Marked as answer by G2T Thursday, October 7, 2010 9:03 PM
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 6:40 PM
  • that worked, thanks!
    Thursday, October 7, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Root cause of this is User Account Control settings. If you are getting "VMM agent install ended prematurely" either install from elevated command line or turn off user account control.  This would apply to full GUI versions of Windows Server edition 2008 and beyond.
    Saturday, February 15, 2014 12:53 AM
  • I am having this very issue at the moment. VMM agent was installed on two servers just fine, but trying to add the servers back into SCVMM and it insisted the versions of the agents on the two hosts were unsupported (even though it installed them), after removing the agents it now refuses to install them. Installing them on the local host manually just causes the installation to end prematurely.

Firewall is completely disabled

UAC is turned off

I have tried running elevated / from elevated cmd using msiexec /i

Nothing works.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 7:39 AM