none
NTFS permissions and folder ownership are lost on Package folder in BDP share on all BDPs.

Question

• The package status show "Install Pending" on all BDPs. After logon BDP workstation as a domain admin, I found  that security tab is empty on the Package folder inside BDP share, D:\SMSPKGD$\SC100039. Folder ownership also lost. 

It happened three times so far for two different packages. The first package is a reoccurring package. Its content is updated everyday at 9:00pm, DP is scheduled update at 10:00pm on the package. The second package, we did manually update one exe file and manually update the DP in admin console. The package does not has Binary sync enabled. BDP did downloaded newer contents from DP to BDPtmp folder, and then merged into D:\SMSPKGD$\SC100039. But NTFS permission did not set on the package folder SC100039.  To fix the problem, I have to manually take ownership and then assign Adminitsrators "Full" control and Users "Read" permissions.  

What could caused this problem? Any hot fix for this?

Steven

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 5:53 PM

Answers

• I did opened a call to Microsooft support. We set up folder Auditing, and find out that CCMExec.exe take ownership and remove all permissions when it is downloading the package. If everything went right, CCMExec.exe should reassign package ownership and NTFS permisison back after complete the download. The problem was that the download never get complete. So the package folder permissions brokem. By remove BDPs from Package DP definition does not fix the problem. The microsoft support tell me to delete BDP and recreate BDP. But I can not do it because each our BDP has about 3 GB data, and will never be able to download completedly in our 128Kb during the night windows.

We believe it caused by one of our AD BITS policy, which set bandwidth to 0 dure the day, and open up to 128 Kb during the night.

I create a package with my VBScript to take ownership and reassign the NTFS permisisons on the broken package folder in all BDP shares. I also removed and reassigned BDPs in the package DP denifination. The problems finilly got fixed.

Thanks for help,

Steven

• Marked as answer by Steven Z. _ Monday, August 29, 2011 3:17 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 3:17 PM

All replies

• Anything specific in event logs? and all BDPs are XP machines?

Anoop C Nair - Twitter @anoopmannur

MY BLOG:  http://anoopmannur.wordpress.com

SCCM Professionals

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Just to make sure: have you already checked the access accounts for that packages? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680350.aspx Are they still set to the defaults? 
    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Nothing changed. The default accounts are still there: Administrators has "Full",  Users has "Read".
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:01 PM
  • Anything specific in event logs? and all BDPs are XP machines?

SCCM Professionals

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Anything specific you can see in event log? Did you check other log files (any clue)? if no then I would have raised a support call with MS (CSS).

SCCM Professionals

Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:25 AM
  • A permission reset may resolve this issue.

How to Perform a Site Reset
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb694286.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, August 29, 2011 8:36 AM
  • I did opened a call to Microsooft support. We set up folder Auditing, and find out that CCMExec.exe take ownership and remove all permissions when it is downloading the package. If everything went right, CCMExec.exe should reassign package ownership and NTFS permisison back after complete the download. The problem was that the download never get complete. So the package folder permissions brokem. By remove BDPs from Package DP definition does not fix the problem. The microsoft support tell me to delete BDP and recreate BDP. But I can not do it because each our BDP has about 3 GB data, and will never be able to download completedly in our 128Kb during the night windows.

We believe it caused by one of our AD BITS policy, which set bandwidth to 0 dure the day, and open up to 128 Kb during the night.

I create a package with my VBScript to take ownership and reassign the NTFS permisisons on the broken package folder in all BDP shares. I also removed and reassigned BDPs in the package DP denifination. The problems finilly got fixed.

Thanks for help,

Steven

• Marked as answer by Steven Z. _ Monday, August 29, 2011 3:17 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2011 3:17 PM
  • This happens in our environment regularly if BDP is connected over non-reliable WAN link, connection is interrupted during replication etc.

It seems SMS/SCCM developers only aware on LAN and never heard about WAN – replication reliability (not only BDP but also site to site) was a disaster in SMS and was not improved in SCCM.

Friday, January 6, 2012 10:44 AM

Thanks for help,

Steven

Please, Can you let me the script? I have the same problem when I update the XP Software Updates in some BDP's.

Thanks!!

Thursday, October 18, 2012 11:31 AM