none
Is it possible to disable/re-enable SCOM resource monitoring from Unix/Linux client side?

Question

• Hello everyone.

I'm still new at using Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2012, R2 (SCOM)to monitor our Linux and Unix servers.

We have a team, which I'm not part of, that handles most administration of SCOM by way of the SCOM management server.

So I do not have much exposure to SCOM administration.

With all that said, is there a way from the Linux or Unix command line on the client itself that I can disable and re-enable collection of a certain

metric?

For example, disable monitoring of a specific file system during a time frame when usage spikes and re-enable it when that time frame has passed.

Or, disable monitoring of CPU usage during a time frame when it spikes and re-enable it when that time frame has passed.

I know "blacking out" brief periods of known resource usage spikes can be done with scheduled maintenance mode, but I'm looking to do something
    on the Linux and Unix client, from the command line.

Specifically, create a cron job to disable SCOM monitoring of CPU usage at a set time and then re-enable it at another time.

Or, create a cron job to disable SCOM monitoring of a particular file system at a set time and then re-enable it at another time.

To clarify, I don't want to stop the SCOM client on the Linux/Unix host from the command line, just temporarily disable monitoring of a particular

resource on the Linux/Unix client.

Please let me know if this can be done from the Linux/Unix SCOM client side.

Thanks all.
    Monday, February 11, 2019 7:01 PM

Answers

• I'm pretty certain you can't, since the Linux client is "passive" : SCOM server queries it for monitoring data, whereas the Windows agent works the other way around (it pushes data to the SCOM server).

But even the windows agent can't be "disabled" agent-side with such granularity, you can only trigger maintenance mode for the whole computer... If you want to put specific instances in MM, you still have to do it from SCOM console.

• Proposed as answer by GouravIN Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by c01362 Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:45 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 7:19 PM

All replies

• I'm pretty certain you can't, since the Linux client is "passive" : SCOM server queries it for monitoring data, whereas the Windows agent works the other way around (it pushes data to the SCOM server).

But even the windows agent can't be "disabled" agent-side with such granularity, you can only trigger maintenance mode for the whole computer... If you want to put specific instances in MM, you still have to do it from SCOM console.

• Proposed as answer by GouravIN Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by c01362 Tuesday, February 12, 2019 5:45 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 7:19 PM
  • Thanks for the info.
    Monday, February 11, 2019 11:13 PM