none
Connecting to Server SCVMM 2012 with SCVMM 2012 SP1 (Beta)

Question

• Hello,

we have installed SCVMM 2012 on our WindowsServer 2008R2 which was running SCVMM 2008R2 before. Before that I was able to connect to that server from my machine using SCVMM 2008R2 which I installed locally. Now with Windows 8 on my new local machine it is not possible to install SCVMM 2012 due to an error in installation-program so I used the Beta of SCVMM 2012 SP1 which can be installed. But if I now try to connect to our server, the program tries to connect to the server for a few minutes. After that error-message with ID 1610 appears: "The connection to the VMM management server hyperv was lost..."

Firewall is deactivated on my local system and RDP-connection to the server works fine. Additionally: before I had the rights to connect to that server I got the proper error-message within seconds.

If I log on to the server via RDP and do the same there, then it works fine. Also my colleague who is still using Windows 7 was able to install SCVMM 2012 and can connect to the server using it. So it seems to me that SCVMM 2012 SP1-client can't connect to SCVMM 2012-server. Is this possible?

Thanks for your efforts in advance.

Regards,
    Dirk

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:28 PM

Answers

• VMM 2012 SP1 will only run on Windows Server 2012 as its platform. That's because VMM is leveraging all the New exciting features and Enhancements in Windows Server to give you the best experience together With Hyper-V.

Therefore you can't Upgrade directly to SP1 from VMM 2012.

You must retain Your database, and perform a New install - or move to a Win 2012 server and install SP1.

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:27 PM
  • Well I got the console to install, but I don't have a non-SP1 server to connect to so can't run the console fully to verify how well (if at all) it works.

So, if you fancy trying the following steps Dirk and letting me know how you get on it would be good :)

Firstly - disclaimer - This is in no way shape or form supported and you are to run this at your own risk, it's not my responsibility if it kills your infrastructure!!!

Steps:
    Grab the SP1 Beta install folder for SCVMM and copy it locally
    Copy the Non-SP1 install files locally to a folder too.

Rename the setup folder in either i386 or amd64 depending on your OS in the SP1 media to setupOrig

copy the setup folder for the relevant os (x86/x64) from the non-sp1 folder to the SP1 folder

edit the PrerequisiteInputFile1033.xml in the setup folder copied across to the SP1 folder and add the following section underneath the win7 section

<LogicDelegate LogicType="or"
                         DelegateId="OSVersion-win8-Fail"
                         DelegateNameSpace="Microsoft.VirtualManager.SetupFramework.BuiltInDelegates,SetupFramework"
                         DelegateName="RequiredOperatingSystem">
            6.2.9200.0,6.2.9999.9999,Win32NT,WinNT,2
          </LogicDelegate>

Run setup.exe from the relevant i386 or amd64 folder (not the setupvm.exe file like previously)

The splash screen will reference SP1 but then move to the non-sp1 install.

Give it a try if you're brave enough and let me know how you get on!

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:08 PM

All replies

• What I know this is not possible. 

the SP1 console is made for connecting to VMM 2012 SP1 and not the VMM 2012

here in this technet site it also states that : http://technet.microsoft.com/library/gg610638.aspx

Can you not install the VMM 2012 Console in Win7 compability mode on your win8 ?  (although not supported :-) 

//niklas

• Edited by vNiklasMVP Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Hello Niklas,

thanks for your answer. But installing that is not possible at all. I have tried a lot of things - but it just did not work. Setting compatibility mode was one of them.

I think the only solution will be to upgrade our server also to SP1. Two questions to that:
    * Is SCVMM 2012 SP1 a totally different application in comparison to SCVMM 2012 or will there be a "SP1" which one later can install on SCVMM 2012 to upgrade it to SCVMM 2012 SP1?

* Is it possible to upgrade SCVMM 2012 to SCVMM 2012 SP1 just by installing SCVMM 2012 SP1 "over" it?

Thanks for your efforts in advance!

Regards,
    Dirk

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:00 PM
  • VMM 2012 SP1 will only run on Windows Server 2012 as its platform. That's because VMM is leveraging all the New exciting features and Enhancements in Windows Server to give you the best experience together With Hyper-V.

Therefore you can't Upgrade directly to SP1 from VMM 2012.

You must retain Your database, and perform a New install - or move to a Win 2012 server and install SP1.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:27 PM
  • Hello Kristian,

now I'm really surprised. The conclusion of both facts (VMM 2012 SP1 will only run on Server 2012 AND VMM 2012 can't be installed on Windows 8) means that if one has an older server (Windows Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V) and Windows 8 as client that one can NEVER connect from the client to the server using any version of SCVMM. Is this really correct?
    Or is it maybe possible to install SCVMM 2008 R2 on Windows 8 and then connect to a server running SCVMM 2012?

Thanks for your efforts in advance!

Regards,
    Dirk

Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:39 AM
  • No - VMM 2012 SP1 will only run on Windows Server 2012. You cant use any of the previous version to connect to your VMM server, either VMM 2008 R2.

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:31 AM
  • Hello Kristian,

I'm not sure if I got you. One question is remaining: if I use Windows 8, do I have then any chance to run any version of SCVMM on my system to connect to servers using SCVMM 2008 R2 and to servers using SCVMM 2012 (NO SP1)?

Thanks for your efforts in advance.

Regards,
    Dirk

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:38 AM
  • You can install the VMM console for remote admin just fine on Windows 8 AND Windows 7.

It's just the SCVMM 2012 SP1 server that requires Windows Server 2012.

It's on both in my lab:

According to the TechNet Library you can install the admin console on:

Operating System for VMM in System Center 2012 SP1 Edition System Architecture

Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1  (full installation)

Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter

x64

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate

x86 and x64

Windows Server 2012

Standard and Datacenter

64bit

Windows 8 Client

Standard, Pro, and Enterprise

32bit and 64bit

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610640.aspx

Regards,
    Steve

My System Center Blog

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Hello Steve,

sure - I can install the console for remote admin of SCVMM 2012 SP1 on Windows 8 - but I can't connect to a server having installed SCVMM 2012 (NO SP1). And I can't install console for remote admin of SCVMM 2012 on Windows 8 - it gives an error that installation is not possible on that OS. So which product can I install on Win8 to remotely access SCVMM 2012 and/or SCVMM 2008R2?

Regards,
    Dirk

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:35 PM
  • Arh, sorry Dirk. I mis-read your question.

You're trying to use Windows 8 as your admin machine to connect to a SCVMM server WITHOUT SP1 installed, correct?

I'm pretty sure I've got a "hack" to install VMM (sans SP1) on Windows 8 somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it back out.

Regards,
    Steve

My System Center Blog

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:45 PM
  • That would be quite cool!! On searching the net I did not find an easy solution.

Regards,
    Dirk

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:47 PM
  • I've remembered...

Look for the file PrerequisiteInputFile1033.xml in either amd64\Setup or i386\Setup of your install media, depending on the "bitness" of the OS you're installing the console on.

Take a backup of the file!

Look for the Win7 section:

DelegateId="OSVersion-win7-Fail"
                         DelegateNameSpace="Microsoft.VirtualManager.SetupFramework.BuiltInDelegates,SetupFramework"
            6.1.7600.0,6.1.9999.9999,Win32NT,WinNT,2
          </LogicDelegate>

Simply change the 6.1.7600.0,6.1.9999.9999 line to read 6.1.7600.0,9.9.9999.9999
    So it should look the below:

DelegateId="OSVersion-win7-Fail"
            6.1.7600.0,9.9.9999.9999,Win32NT,WinNT,2
          </LogicDelegate>

save the file and you're good to go!

Regards,
    Steve

My System Center Blog

• Edited by Steve Beaumont Friday, December 14, 2012 1:56 PM filename mistake
    Friday, December 14, 2012 1:55 PM
  • PrerequisiteInputFile1033.xml is the English setup file, if you're installing in a different language then update the relevant PrerequisiteInputFileXXXX.xml file

My System Center Blog

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:57 PM
  • I forgot to mention, this still won't let you install via setup.exe, you will need to run the SetupVMM.exe from within the setup folder where you altered the xml file.

However... while this worked in the past, I've just re-tried it with the RTM Win8 and it's just crashing.

Close, but no cigar.

I'll keep looking though!

Sorry,
    SB

My System Center Blog

Friday, December 14, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Hello Steve,

I just figured out the same right now on my machine... :-(

If you ever find a solution, I will be glad if you'll share it with me.

Kind regards,
    Dirk

Friday, December 14, 2012 2:27 PM
  • Well I got the console to install, but I don't have a non-SP1 server to connect to so can't run the console fully to verify how well (if at all) it works.

So, if you fancy trying the following steps Dirk and letting me know how you get on it would be good :)

Firstly - disclaimer - This is in no way shape or form supported and you are to run this at your own risk, it's not my responsibility if it kills your infrastructure!!!

Steps:
    Grab the SP1 Beta install folder for SCVMM and copy it locally
    Copy the Non-SP1 install files locally to a folder too.

Rename the setup folder in either i386 or amd64 depending on your OS in the SP1 media to setupOrig

copy the setup folder for the relevant os (x86/x64) from the non-sp1 folder to the SP1 folder

edit the PrerequisiteInputFile1033.xml in the setup folder copied across to the SP1 folder and add the following section underneath the win7 section

DelegateId="OSVersion-win8-Fail"
            6.2.9200.0,6.2.9999.9999,Win32NT,WinNT,2
          </LogicDelegate>

Run setup.exe from the relevant i386 or amd64 folder (not the setupvm.exe file like previously)

The splash screen will reference SP1 but then move to the non-sp1 install.

Give it a try if you're brave enough and let me know how you get on!

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:08 PM
  • Hello Steve,

great idea to mix the two setups! It worked well!

Thank you very much for all your efforts!

Regards,
    Dirk

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Does that mean you've installed it and got it to successfully connect to a non-SP1 SCVMM server?

I've also put a blog post up with some screenshots to make the process clearer:
    http://systemscentre.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/installing-scvmm-non-sp1-console-on.html

Cheers,
    SB

My System Center Blog

Friday, December 14, 2012 4:09 PM