none
Add Boot Image Failing with Finalize Error.

Question

• I am attempting to add a new boot image and/or add a new driver to an existing boot image and I get the following error: "You can not import this boot image. Only finalized boot images are supported. For more information press F1." I haven't conducted this type of activity for some time and know that I upgraded the AIK to 6.1.700.16385 in preperation for our Windows 7 deployment. I am thinking that the "finalize" error seems awful shady as the peimg command has been replace/superceded by the dism commands. Can anyone assist in helping correct my issue?
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:18 PM

Answers

• how are you trying to add the boot image ? I just did a test on my lab sccm 2007 SP2 box, and created a new boot.wim file by following these steps . It worked just fine.

Success: Data Source Information
    	Source location: \\Win-cilzxi45g1q\sms_wdn\OSD\boot\i386\boot.wim
    	Boot Image: 1 - Microsoft Windows PE (x86)

Success: Package Information
    	Name: X86 test boot.wim image
    	Version: test
    	Comment: testing the finalized boot images for windows-noob.com/dec 2009

The only thing i can think of that might be causing you guys some confusion is that you are not picking the default boot.wim file and picking another (possibly modified) boot file.

Are you doing it this way or some other way, if so, explain ?
    my SCCM step by step Guides > http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1064
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:50 AM
    Monday, December 07, 2009 5:42 PM

All replies

• how are you trying to add the boot image ? I just did a test on my lab sccm 2007 SP2 box, and created a new boot.wim file by following these steps . It worked just fine.

Success: Data Source Information
    	Source location: \\Win-cilzxi45g1q\sms_wdn\OSD\boot\i386\boot.wim
    	Boot Image: 1 - Microsoft Windows PE (x86)

Success: Package Information
    	Name: X86 test boot.wim image
    	Version: test
    	Comment: testing the finalized boot images for windows-noob.com/dec 2009

The only thing i can think of that might be causing you guys some confusion is that you are not picking the default boot.wim file and picking another (possibly modified) boot file.

Are you doing it this way or some other way, if so, explain ?
    my SCCM step by step Guides > http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1064
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:50 AM
    Monday, December 07, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Yog Li - MSFT
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Hi - I accidentally deleted the boot.wim file from the configuration Manager OSD folder for X86.  When I tried to copy the boot.wim file from a Windows 7 DVD to that folder, and then try to add the boot image through the console, I got the finalization error as well.

Isn't there an easier way to "finalize" this one file?  I didn't make any special configuration changes at all - it is straight off the DVD!

I am VERY new to this process and trying to self learn how to set up the whole deployment process.  I have no idea where to begin with mounting and finalizing and unmounting custom .wim files... I can't even find the deploycmd.exe command prompt anywhere to run these command lines to do this!

As you can tell, frustration has taken over... sorry.

Please tell me there is an easy way to do this....
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:15 PM
  • I faced the problem recently, SCCM 2012. The solution for me was to reinstall WAIK. Important: install the same language version as the one of ConfigMgr!

Took me a day to figure out, a lot of questions on this problem, but no solution. Hope it works for others.

Friday, November 16, 2012 1:22 PM