none
Remote Desktop Client App on macOS Sierra / 10.12 will not connect after upgrade

Question

• I recently upgraded my Mac OS to Sierra and completely lost my connection with Remote Desktop Client. I upgraded RDC to the latest version 2.1.1 and I still am not able to connect to my Windows machine. Is there a fix?
    Tuesday, October 04, 2016 8:52 PM

Answers

• I have this same problem.  I upgraded my Mac OS to Sierra and am not able to connect to any of my windows machines that I could before.    The error is:  The certificate or associated chain is not valid.  Do you want to connect to this computer anyway? Ignore or Connect.  Clicking Connect just brings the error message again.

I would appreciate some help.

Hi,

In the RDP Client preferences, setting it to 'connect anyways' even if authentication fails.  

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 2:46 AM

All replies

• Hello,

As far as i know this is a known issue.

You have another thread on:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/fdea764c-bb41-442f-8003-5f1956131428/remote-desktop-client-app-on-macos-sierra-1012-has-issues-with-the-closeminimizemaximize?forum=winRDc

Cheers,

nuno

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016 8:57 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:40 PM
  • I have this same problem.  I upgraded my Mac OS to Sierra and am not able to connect to any of my windows machines that I could before.    The error is:  The certificate or associated chain is not valid.  Do you want to connect to this computer anyway? Ignore or Connect.  Clicking Connect just brings the error message again.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 2:44 AM
  • I have the same problem here in VA.  Windows PC is Win10.  Lost connect with Sierra update.  Also have tried beta with now luck.

I get Error code 0x204

Friday, October 21, 2016 5:49 PM

Hi,

In the RDP Client preferences, setting it to 'connect anyways' even if authentication fails.  

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, October 24, 2016 2:46 AM

Hi,

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Encountered this issue as well. What Alvin suggest works. The option is under the Security tab of the Settings menu. Thanks!
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 4:19 PM
  • I am having the same issues. I would like to try with Alvin Wang suggested, but I cannot find the option to make that change. Thanks. 
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 4:15 AM
  • Go into preferences in your RDC. Go to security and then click "allow even if connection fails." When loading Sierra it changed the default.

These days they move apocalyptically.

• Edited by young fella Wednesday, January 04, 2017 3:13 AM Spelling oops.
    • Proposed as answer by young fella Wednesday, January 04, 2017 4:47 AM
    Wednesday, January 04, 2017 3:13 AM
  • After clicking "Connect anyways" I continue to get the message. I can connect to a different IPV4 address, which is associated with our server.
    Saturday, January 07, 2017 3:46 PM
  • I have a new imac (late 2015) running OS Sierra10.12.2 and needed to switch to the newer Microsoft Remote Desktop.  Here is a link to the instructions on how to install. Finally connected. I hope this helps someone else.  I have been struggling for a long time.  

http://nutrition.ucdavis.edu/foodpro/mac-new.html

• Proposed as answer by MacFW Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:47 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:47 PM
  • thanks.  I needed newer version of remote desktop and all is working again.
    • Proposed as answer by jpgoper Thursday, August 10, 2017 5:01 PM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:30 PM