none
SCCM R2 Licensing RRS feed

• Question

• I've got SCCM SP1.  I'd like to get R2, but was wondering if it is licensed separately from SCCM SP1?  Can I just install R2 and it will work with my SP1 licensing or will I need to purchase a license for R2?  Thanks.

Doug 
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:09 PM

Answers

• Just contacted MS Licensing and they said we don't need a key for R2 if we use the Select media we received in the mail.
    • Marked as answer by dreames Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:07 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the link, however, that doesn't clear up my confusion.  I see that the only product listed is R2.  Does that mean that my original SCCM purchase allows me to install R2 without having to purchase an upgrade?  Sorry for the questions, but I just don't want to install R2 and find out that we have to purchase another license and CALs or have to try to uninstall R2.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:27 PM
  • I you have Software Assurance with your Configuration Manager license agreement, then you should be covered.
    Kent Agerlund
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:41 PM
  • Yes, it is a licensing issue.  You can receive it free if you have Software Assurance or you can purchase R2 seperately.  Just because you have SCCM Sp1 doesn't mean you qualify for R2.  It isn't free.  No addtional CALS or other licenses are necessary for the client from what I remember.  But this can be sorted out by contacting a Microsoft Rep for your area.

If you want to use the virtualization portion of R2 then you must purchase App-v seperately.  We were able to get the Desktop Optimization Pack and pull the Sequencer and App-v client from the CD. 

http://www.sccm-tools.com http://sms-hints-tricks.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:41 PM
  • You must has also have a SA agreement in order to purchase MDOP
    Kent Agerlund
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:44 PM
  • Just contacted MS Licensing and they said we don't need a key for R2 if we use the Select media we received in the mail.
    • Marked as answer by dreames Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:16 PM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:07 PM