none
SCOM 2012 Alert - System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager VMM Agent Monitored By OpsMgr RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

Just finsihed upgrading VMM 2008 R2 SP1 to VMM 2012 and successfully integrating VMM 2012 with SCOM 2012 (VMM 2012 management pack version 3.0.6019.0).  We are now getting the following SCOM alert from all our VMM 2012 managed Hyper-V hosts...

Alert: "The VMM agent status is Not Monitored on [HOST]" - Monitor: "System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager VMM Agent Monitored By OpsMgr"

SCOM 2012 agent is installed and working as expected on our Hyper-V hosts.

Any help or guidance would be apprecaited!

Regards,

JJ

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 3:39 PM

All replies

• Hi

This is a known issue and will be addressed in a future release. If all your agents are already being monitored, for now, a workaround to is to disable the monitor.

thanks,
    Chetan

[Disclaimer] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:21 PM
  • OK, thanks Chetan!  :-)
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Chetan, I am also having a similar issue with this.  Was this fixed in Roll up 1, or is it still broken?  I am currently running SCOM 2012 RU1 and VMM 2012 RU1. It appears the issue is that VMM is looking for the FQDN for the Windows Computer Object, but Clustered resources only get discovered with NetBIOS name (for the Windows Computer Object).  I'm not sure why this is, but I haven't been able to get any Cluster Member to discover with FQDN, only NetBIOS.  I see this behavior for all Cluster Members.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Unfortunately, it hasn't been fixed in Upgrade Rollups.

[Disclaimer] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all.

Monday, August 6, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Thanks for info.  Any plans to get this fixed in Rollup 3 or SP1?
    Monday, August 6, 2012 8:08 PM
  • We get this too.Please fix.  Making overrides then having to remember to have to undo later when it is fixed...meh :p

Monday, August 20, 2012 5:53 PM
  • Do you guys still have a problem with this?

I'm running SCOM 2012 SP1 Update Rollup 2 and I'm getting these alerts.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 8:56 AM
  • No, it has never been fixed that I'm aware of, coming up on a year for this post... :-(  

I'm not one to complain but the VMM 2012 management pack is and continues to be riddled with bugs (e.g. this issue as well as broken diagram views just to name a few) none of which were fixed in the SP1 or UR2 updates.

Regards,

JJ

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 12:08 PM
  • ok, I'm got it working however I get alot of these "The VMM agent status is Not Monitored on ***" alerts often so it seems to be unstable

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:20 PM
  • And guess what?

It's still not fixed in SCOM 2012 R2 / SCVMM 2012 R2.

http://www.dreamension.net

Friday, October 4, 2013 3:23 AM
  • Can confirm too that this is not fixed in 2012 R2 release. Surprised this is still an issue after such a long time.
    Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:26 PM
  • Same problem here.... SCOM 2012 R2 / VMM 2012 R2.

Everything was working fine, but since yesterday, from nowhere, this alerts started showing....

Rafael Monteiro

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:46 AM
  • Same issue since CU3 installed on SCOM 2012 R2 and VMM 2012 R2 while agents are running on Hyper-V 2012 R2. On servers running Hyper-V 2012 (not R2) no issues so far...

• Edited by PRND Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:45 AM
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:42 AM
  • Can't help but laugh, 2+ years and going and still no fix.  Makes you wonder how Microsoft actually tests their management packs? ...or do they?
    Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:49 PM
  • Yes, laughing seems to be the only way to cope with it.

I searched the MPs for the monitor's definition.

UnitMonitorType has only Scheduler as DataSource ! So there is no probing , checking...nothing.

And that seems to be the case for most of these monitors.

Who has written the MP ? That is really ridiculous ...

If the other parts are of same quality, I'm thinking of the PRO enabled MPs, ...why should I install the SCVMM 2012 R2 MPs ?

Would be great if a Microsoft engineer could answer.

Btw: This costs us hours (!) to investigate, searching the forums.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:44 AM
  • Actually i have installed the UR3 Release on my Scom 2012 R2 environment and the problem Remains. I have re-searched almost the Ops Mgr forums and no solutions. Only disable the monitor... Just Great... 
    Monday, September 15, 2014 9:15 AM
  • Still seems to be there with SCOM 2012 R2 UR4....

MCT | MCSE | MCITP | MCTS SCOM, SCCM, SCVMM, SCDPM | Open CITS

Monday, January 19, 2015 11:40 AM
  • This has just appeared in my environment after going to UR5
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 3:01 AM
  • Same here, after UR5 the alerts came. In UR3 no problems. Any fix yet instead of disabling the monitor?
    Monday, April 20, 2015 10:21 AM
  • I've even tested this in SCOM/SCVMM 2016 TP3 and it still occurs. It is very disappointing that Microsoft doesn't improve their own product integration issues. 

------- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you.
    AdinE MCSE, MCSA, MCITP, MCTS; (Specializing in System Center Cloud and Datacenter Management)
    2015 Microsoft MVP in System Center Cloud and Datacenter Management
    LinkedIn: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/adinermie

Friday, September 4, 2015 6:05 PM
  • Hi

I updated VMM 2012 R2 to UR 7 and this is still occuring. This is quite frustrating.

Cheers,

Gunter

Cheers, Gunter

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 7:35 AM
  • Just a thought, has anyone actually raised a case? We see it in UR8.

To be fair the MPs are pretty poor, might just rip them out and author our own... The only thing that is nice is automatically putting hosts in maintenance mode from VMM to SCOM.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote as Helpful", and if it answered your question, please click "Mark as Answer". I do not work for Microsoft, I manage a large estate in the public sector, my views are generally first hand production experiences.

Monday, December 21, 2015 4:30 PM
  • Hi...

We were facing same issue in our production environment where all HyperV host machines are throwing the error "System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager VMM Agent Monitored By OpsMgr" though the SCOM agent perspective these servers are fine and healthy. Now all these are resolved(yesterday it got resolved::) by doing,

1) Make sure that the SCOM-VMM integration Connection status is in "OK" status under VMM console's settings window.

2) Collect all HyperV host machines, VMM servers, Library servers, storage servers etc and add them into VIRTUAL MACHINE MANAGER CONNECTION ACCOUNT which is a SCOM Run as account's more Secure option

3) If you are seeing alerts or Operations Manager event log errors on HyperV host machines stating this VMM run as account is not allowed as LOGON LOCALLY then add this VMM run as account user into each HyperV host machine under ADMINISTRATOR group.

4) Finally manual health flush on each of hyperV hosts(by stopping MOM service, rename HEALTHSERVICE STATE folder and then start back the MOM service) was done and finally all host machines under AGENTWATCHER STATE which can be found under MicrosoftSystem Center Virtual Machine Manager folder-->Agents-->Health State became healthy slowly and all is fine now.

5) If needed then keep the VMM cluster name into maintenance mode for 10 minutes(If it is in Uninitialized state then) which can be found under MicrosoftSystem Center Virtual Machine Manager folder-->Managed Resources-->Virtual Machine Manager Server Health.

My SCOM environment is SCOM 2012 R2 UR9 & VMM is 2012 R2 UR9(All the latest one).

Karthick Rajasekaran

Thursday, March 17, 2016 4:42 PM
  • One more important update.

There shouldn't be any VM guest machines in MISSING STATE under SCVMM console which is more important. If any then inform the Hyperv team to remove the MISSING state VM entries from SCVMM console. Example screen below here where one of VM is in MISSING state which you need to ask HyperV team to remove it and wait for sometime which works.

Karthick Rajasekaran

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:53 PM
  • Hi I have this exact same error.

When you say add the machine accounts into the connection account, do you mean under the security tab? Full control?

Thanks

Andrew

Monday, November 7, 2016 10:46 AM
  • This is what I mentioned about adding the computers. Need to distribute all VMM servers, Hyperv Hosts, library severs etc into VIRTUAL MACHINE MANAGER CONNECTION ACCOUNT(Rus as account).  Also ensure that the SCOM -VMM integration steps are followed using this link https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2012/08/21/integrating-vmm-2012-and-opsmgr-2012/

Karthick Rajasekaran

Monday, November 7, 2016 1:25 PM
  • Thanks for the fast response.

Ah ok, I miss understood. You mean in SCOM, within SCOM, under Run As account, select the Virtual Machine Manager Connection Account. Then within Distribution change the radio button to "more secure", and make sure all of the machine account are in the selected computers?

Looks like all is correct for me but still getting the issue. Will beep digging.

Monday, November 7, 2016 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

in which version will it be fixed? 2029 R8 UR79?  :-(

Yeah, we know... VMM is dying. Still we expect support as long as it is under support.

Best,
    Patrick

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helped you.

Patrick Seidl (System Center and Private Cloud)
    s2 - seidl solutions
    Blog: http://www.systemcenterrocks.com

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 8:01 AM
  • We are also receiving the alert VMM Agent Not Monitored By Operations Manager. We are currently running version 3.2.8377.0 of Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager Management Pack on SCOM 2012 R2 UR13.

Anyone has found a ix for this issue?

Thursday, June 21, 2018 1:42 PM