none
P2V - problem converting physical server

Question

• I have installed SCVMM 2008 R2 on a 64-bit Windows 2008 Enterprise SP2 server with the Hyper-V role installed and Hyper-V Tools feature installed.

The source that I am trying to convert is a 32-bit Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2 server with 512MB of RAM. I'm pretty sure the computer meets the minimum requirements for the source machine.

When I attempt to run the P2V conversion using the wizard, I get the following error message:

Unable to convert the physical server. Virtual Machine Manager requires a host with Hyper-V or Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1.
    Use the "Add hosts" action in the Administrator Console to add a host and then try the operation again.
    ID: 3231

As mentioned, I do have Hyper-V installed on the VMM server.

When I try to use the "add hosts" action, I get an "Error (410)" message.

Error (410)
    Agent installation failed on machine_name.domain.name. 
     (Data error (cyclic redundancy check)) 

Recommended Action
    Try the operation again. If the problem persists, install the agent locally and then add the managed computer.

I have installed the agent locally and then tried again, but I am now getting an "Error (2912)" message.

Error (2912)
    An internal error has occurred trying to contact an agent on the machine_name.domain.name server. 
     (Unknown error (0x80041013)) 

Recommended Action
    Ensure the agent is installed and running. Ensure the WS-Management service is installed and running, then restart the agent.

I have verified that the VMM agent is installed and the service is running and have verified that the Windows Remote Management (WS-Management) is installed and the service in running.

I am missing something and I would appreciate any help that can be provided.

Thanks,
    Mark

Friday, March 04, 2011 4:37 PM

Answers

• Hey Mark,

Thanks for the response.  You do not need to install OpsMgr in order for VMM to work normally.  That is a warning in the VMMCA that simply indicates that integration between VMM and OpsMgr has not yet been configured, and can be safely ignored. 

However, the VMMCA did indicate that a hotfix for WinRM (971244) needs to be installed on the destination host.  If you haven't done so already, please install that hotfix on the destination host.  It is also a good idea to visit Windows Update on the destination host and install all required or optional updates. 

In regards to the VSS error on the source machine, if VSS is not running or has an issue than a P2V will fail.  At a high level, VMM uses VSS on the source to snapshot the drive[s] and then forks them into a new VM.  So if there is problems with VSS on the source the conversion will fail.  You might want to run the following command from an elevated command prompt on the source to verify that all vss writers are functioning properly. 

vssadmin list writers

Next, you might want to try using the disk2vhd utility for this one conversion.  It is a lightweight tool just used for conversions.  It might provide a workaround for this one conversion to allow you to move forward.  Disk2vhd can be downloaded here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] – Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting your question here.  A couple of questions/suggestions immediately come to mind.

1)    The first error message seems to indicate that there may not be a managed host in VMM.  Please confirm that you’ve added a Hyper-v host to use as the destination host during this conversion.

2)    Is this the first P2V that you've attempted or have others been successful?  

3)    Visit Windows Update and check for updates for your VMM server.  The most current release is 2.0.4276.  You can see the version information in the Add/Remove Programs applet. 

4)    Try running the VMMCA against all involved machines from the VMM server.  The VMMCA can be downloaded from the following link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=02d83950-c03d-454e-803b-96d1c1d5be24&displaylang=en

The VMMCA will identify any missing updates or hotfixes that may be required on either the VMM server, the destination host, or the P2V source machine.

5)    Another option if this is just a single conversion is to use the Sysinternals tool Disk2VHD.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] – Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Saturday, March 05, 2011 2:23 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was on vacation.

First, let me say that I'm new to this whole virtulization thing and thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

Yes, I did realize that there was not a managed host in VMM. I have now setup a Hyper-V host for the VMM's.

Yes, this is the first P2V conversion that I'm attempting.

I have version VMM 2.0.4275.0. When I check for updates, there none showing that are available.

Do I need to install operations manager prior to running the P2v process...and do I need to setup the reporting for VMM?

I ran the VMMCA and this is the report that was returned...

Virtual Machine Manager Configuration Analyzer Report

Privacy Statement

Run Date: March 14, 2011 11:42:00

For information about how to use and troubleshoot problems with the Virtual Machine Manager Configuration Analyzer, and how to get the latest updates, please visit the VMMCA download site. 

To scan a remote computer, make sure that a firewall is not blocking Remote Service Management or Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) communication.

To scan an installed VMM server with a remote VMM database, ensure that remote connections are enabled on the SQL Server database instance.

Errors (1)

Warnings (2)

Error Details

Description: The VMMCA was not able to check for the Volume Shadow Copy Service on host P2V_Machine. This service is required for physical-to-virtual (P2V) conversions. Ensure that this service exists and its Startup type is not set to "Disabled". 

Warning Details

Title: Recommended WinRM update 971244 is not installed  

Description: The Windows Remote Management (WinRM) update 971244 is not installed on VMM_Host. We recommend that you install this update if the Virtual Machine Manager installation fails with the error '0x803380f7'. For more information, see article 971244 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=163199).  

Title: Reporting is not configured 

Description: Reporting is not configured on the VMM server VMM_Host. To configure Reporting on the VMM server requires System Center Operations Manager 2007 SP1 or later. For instructions on how to configure Reporting, see “Configuring Reporting for VMM” (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=163061).  

I have verified that Volume Shadow Copy Service is running on the P2V_Machine but I still get the same error. I have even tried turning off the firewall and get the same result.

Thanks,
    Mark

Monday, March 14, 2011 9:44 PM
  • Hey Mark,

Thanks for the response.  You do not need to install OpsMgr in order for VMM to work normally.  That is a warning in the VMMCA that simply indicates that integration between VMM and OpsMgr has not yet been configured, and can be safely ignored. 

However, the VMMCA did indicate that a hotfix for WinRM (971244) needs to be installed on the destination host.  If you haven't done so already, please install that hotfix on the destination host.  It is also a good idea to visit Windows Update on the destination host and install all required or optional updates. 

In regards to the VSS error on the source machine, if VSS is not running or has an issue than a P2V will fail.  At a high level, VMM uses VSS on the source to snapshot the drive[s] and then forks them into a new VM.  So if there is problems with VSS on the source the conversion will fail.  You might want to run the following command from an elevated command prompt on the source to verify that all vss writers are functioning properly. 

vssadmin list writers

Next, you might want to try using the disk2vhd utility for this one conversion.  It is a lightweight tool just used for conversions.  It might provide a workaround for this one conversion to allow you to move forward.  Disk2vhd can be downloaded here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hello Mike,

When I run a check for available windows updates the 971244 update does not show as being available. I have checked the windows update settings and have verified that "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows" is selected.

When I go the the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971244 page, and request the hotfix, the only download version that shows is for Windows Vista. I am running 64-bit Server 2008 SP2.

I have tried to install the version that is available, but I get a message that reads "The update does not apply to your system."

I will download the conversion tool and try that method, but I would still like to figure out a way to get the 971244 update for my 64-bit Server 2008 SP2

Thanks,

Mark

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 4:25 PM
  • So the story here is that 971244 may be included in another update, like perhaps R2 or SP1 for W2K8.  That would explain why you're getting the message "this update does not apply to your system".

Also, the reason why it is not identified on Windows Update is that it does not apply to all W2K8 servers, so we don't flag it to be downloaded by any server that connects to WU.  You have to visit the KB directly to obtain the hotfix.  

And while we're on that topic, you mentioned that the only version available was for Vista. Vista and W2K8 share some of the same code base so the fix actually applied to both Vista and W2K8.  I see this confusion on many different hotfixes that we have.

I'm interested to hear what the results are with the disk2vhd utility.

Thanks,

Mike

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:21 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I was able to create the VHD's with the Disk2vhd utility. The server has two partitions setup and there were multiple files created:

The physical server has 5 HDD's. Disks 0, 1,& 2 were are setup as raid 5 and Disks 3 and 4 are setup as raid 1.

ServerName-0.vhd - 131,86,265 kb

ServerName-1.vhd - 6182 kb
    ServerName-2.vhd - 6182 kb
    ServerName-3.vhd - 6182 kb
    ServerName-4.vhd - 8,712,290 kb

At this point, I am going to sound dumb, but I'm not sure how to use these files (or if I should be using all of the files) to create the virtual machine on the VMM host.

On the VMM server host, I have tried the using the action "New Virtual Machine" and have selected the option to "Use an existing virtual machine, template, or virtual hard disk." I can't seem to figure out how to locate the files.

Should I be placing the VHD files in a specific folder?

Again, I appreciate your response to help me with this issue.

Mark

Friday, March 18, 2011 3:40 AM
  • Hi Mark,

It sounds like you're going through the correct process.  In the New VM wizard, you'll need to point to the VHD that was created from the conversion that corresponds with the c:\ drive from the source.  So, if the c:\ came across as ServerName-1,vhd then point the wizard to that file for the boot drive.  Then in the Settings or Properties of the new VM (once created), you should be able to add the other drives.

I like to organize all of my VHD files in a particular folder structure, so that I can easily access them later on.  For example, I store then on a different spindel than the OS.  As the number of VMs grow, I can then add additional disks to store more VMs to increase performance.

E:\VHDs\VM_Name

F:\VHDs\VM_Name

Friday, March 18, 2011 3:59 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks for your response.

I have got the VM running, but only with the system drive. I can't seem to figure out how to add the additional hard drive and get it to be seen the the VM.

Thanks,
    Mark 

Monday, March 21, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Thanks for all of your time, but I am unable to get the secondary hard drive to be seen by the virtual machine. In addition I am having trouble getting the Integration Services installed. When I try to install the Integration Services, it updates the HAL and reboots, but then says it needs to update the HAL again. 

I am going to abandon the migration of this server because this has already consumed too much time for both of us.

Again, thanks for your efforts in helping me with this.

Mark

Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:55 PM