none
SQL MP 6.3.173.0 SPN monitor RRS feed

All replies

• Hi,

From the management pack guide, I found “This monitor type checks the state of a Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Database Engine SPN configuration.” under the section about “SQL SPN Configuration Status”. Please ensure the monitor has been enabled for SQL Server 2012.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 4, 2012 8:15 AM
  • The SPN Configuration Status monitor also targets the SQL 2008 DB Engine class.  So far, I have to say it has been spot on with the SPN issues it has alerted on in two different environments we recently deployed this MP to.   But that has been my experience, I know others on the forum have stated they believe it is in falsly alerting in their environment. 

The script - GetSQL2008SPNState.vbs is what runs on the agent to detect the SPN configuration/mis-configuration.  I just started to review the code to understand the logic defined.

What leads you to believe it is in error?

Friday, May 4, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Because I can see that the SPNs are correctly set with setspn -l but the monitor is still complaining (SQL 2008).

"Fear disturbs your concentration"

Friday, May 4, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Hi,

the MP is a bit "BLIND" here.....

it looks for the right SPNs but is unable to detect that a SQL-Server which runs as NT AUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE is the right one for SPN FQDN.

So it sees 2 different names and complains. When SQL runs as Domain Account this logic runs perfect but for Local System and Networkservice the Script just makes shit....

Disable the rule for those SQL-Servers until they fix it in a newer MP-Verison.

Greetings

Joerg

Monday, May 7, 2012 2:02 PM
  • This fixed it for me

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/01eff618-1087-4b6a-9d3f-9f1402ddf3f4/sql-2008-r2-discovery-issue?forum=operationsmanagermgmtpacks

From a command prompt, browse to the folder “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared”

Run mofcomp sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof

Restart the scom agent.

• Edited by PowerGiraf Friday, March 14, 2014 9:07 AM
    Friday, March 14, 2014 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

the MP is a bit "BLIND" here.....

it looks for the right SPNs but is unable to detect that a SQL-Server which runs as NT AUTHORITY\NETWORKSERVICE is the right one for SPN FQDN.

So it sees 2 different names and complains. When SQL runs as Domain Account this logic runs perfect but for Local System and Networkservice the Script just makes shit....

Disable the rule for those SQL-Servers until they fix it in a newer MP-Verison.

Greetings

Joerg

I'm still seeing this issue as of SCOM2012R2, UR2, SQL MP 6.4.1.0. The machines that are getting the error do indeed have an SPN set (and query able) - but the common denominator is that they are running as Local System. Can we confirm this is still a bug?

GetSQL2008SPNState.vbs : The Query 'SELECT ProtocolName FROM ServerNetworkProtocol where Enabled = true and InstanceName = 'MSSQLSERVER'' did not return any valid instances.  Please check to see if this is a valid WMI Query.. Invalid class"

• Edited by Dug from U Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:57 PM
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014 7:54 PM
  • I'm still seeing this issue as of SCOM2012R2, UR2, SQL MP 6.4.1.0. The machines that are getting the error do indeed have an SPN set (and query able) - but the common denominator is that they are running as Local System. Can we confirm this is still a bug?

GetSQL2008SPNState.vbs : The Query 'SELECT ProtocolName FROM ServerNetworkProtocol where Enabled = true and InstanceName = 'MSSQLSERVER'' did not return any valid instances.  Please check to see if this is a valid WMI Query.. Invalid class"

I may have answered my own question here, I believe setting the correct WMI permissions per the MP guide (and then running the mofcomp command) worked. 
    • Edited by Dug from U Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:11 PM
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:10 PM