Exclude a user collection from a computer collection? RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if the title to the post is a bit confusing.  I need to roll out software to our whole company, every PC.  Thus I will send to 'All Workstations' collection of PCs.  However some of our IT staff must be excluded from this roll out.  There is AD user group that contains the IT staff.  Is it possible to add this AD group as an 'Exclude' option to the Workstation collection?  We don't have a specific computer based collection for IT staff.  They sign-into multiple different PCs all the time and it would be extremely tedious/time-consuming if I had to create a direct workstation collection just for their IT pcs.

Thanks!

• Edited by net1994 Tuesday, October 23, 2018 2:54 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 2:49 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately you are probably going to have to create the collection of IT computers.  The problem is that while you could potentially use a SQL query to exclude a user group it would probably not do what you are looking for.  The reason for this is that SCCM creates a device affinity for a user, but it's a one to one relationship.  Meaning that if a IT person signs into lets say five systems only one of those will be assigned to that user.  There is also the potential that the same user might not have a device assigned to it due to the use of systems being spread out over many users and many systems.  You could manually assign IT accounts to PC's, but depending upon how your settings are configured for device affinity that could be overwritten.

So long story short anything is possible, but for the best accuracy you would be better off creating the IT device collection, than you will need to create a new device collection in which you include 'All Workstations', and exclude your IT device collection.  You could use the 'All workstations' group and exclude the IT devices, but modifying the built in SCCM objects is generally frowned upon and not best practice.

• Marked as answer by net1994 Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:13 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:58 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately you are probably going to have to create the collection of IT computers.  The problem is that while you could potentially use a SQL query to exclude a user group it would probably not do what you are looking for.  The reason for this is that SCCM creates a device affinity for a user, but it's a one to one relationship.  Meaning that if a IT person signs into lets say five systems only one of those will be assigned to that user.  There is also the potential that the same user might not have a device assigned to it due to the use of systems being spread out over many users and many systems.  You could manually assign IT accounts to PC's, but depending upon how your settings are configured for device affinity that could be overwritten.

So long story short anything is possible, but for the best accuracy you would be better off creating the IT device collection, than you will need to create a new device collection in which you include 'All Workstations', and exclude your IT device collection.  You could use the 'All workstations' group and exclude the IT devices, but modifying the built in SCCM objects is generally frowned upon and not best practice.

• Marked as answer by net1994 Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:13 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:58 PM

Yeah, I thought as much.  Of course with a static collection, once a new IT person joins or leaves then the collection is out of date.  But I have done this before and it's much easier than trying to do a nightmare/convoluted query based goal like what I was hoping for.  I also forgot about IT people logging into servers, were we do NOT want the software.  With this, I really only have one choice: manual static collection of PCs.

• Edited by net1994 Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:15 PM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2018 5:14 PM