none
Metacache DB Setup without Autoreseed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We implement EX2019 atm (switch from 2016)...

The Microsoft Guide has Autoreseed for the DAG as prequisite listed.

Our configuration on 2016 is a 2 node dag under vmware with 1 disk for the databases and 1 disk for the logs using disks that on a raid storage.

We want to use the Metacache Database using a SSD in each Host but we cannot implement autoreseed with multiple volumes, mount points etc as listed.

It is possible to get Metacache DB running without Autoreseed? we dont need this feature our disks cannot get broken

I tryd to configure the Metacache DB Feature using the CMDlets in the Script Folder but there are different problems:

.) The SDD Disks dont get recognized i need to manually format them and mount it under c:\ExchangeMCDBVolumes

.) After running Manage-MCDB -ConfigureMCDBOnServer the Mountpoints are not created i need to create these by my self for each database 

.) I see then the .mcdb folder get created but without the .edb files inside (only empty directories)

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus:

MetaCacheDatabaseStatus        : Offline
    MetaCacheDatabaseStatusMessage : Partition EDB file 'C:\ExchangeMetaCacheDbs\DBNAME\DBNAME.mcdb\DBNAME-mcdb.edb' was not found.

Please guide me how we can get the MCDB running it was the main feature for our switch to 2019

We use CU5 atm why is it so difficult to implement one of the main features from exchange 2019?

thanks

regards

harald

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 4:46 PM

All replies

• Hi PremiaFIT,

Did you get any error when running Manage-MCDB -ConfigureMCDBOnServer?

Also, check if any errors in event log.

Have you read this blog for Metacache Database setup? Some phenomenon seems same for you:https://community.hpe.com/t5/around-the-storage-block/microsoft-exchange-2019-metacache-database-setup/ba-p/7077841#.XuweJ2gzaM8

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 19, 2020 5:13 AM
  • Dear Eric,

Thanks for your reply...

We use exactly this guide from the hpe because there are not much informations on the net atm

In the Guide is quoted:

"Firstly, AutoReseed must be correctly configured for the MCDB to work properly, as Disk Reclaimer (part of AutoReseed) handles MCDB creation"

As I wrote we cannot implement Autoreseed cause of our Raid/Disk Configuration and we dont need this feature but does the dag need some special settings for autoreseed to get mcdb working?

Our Settings are:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup maildag2019|fl *auto*

AutoDagSchemaVersion             : 1.0
    AutoDagDatabaseCopiesPerDatabase : 1
    AutoDagDatabaseCopiesPerVolume   : 1
    AutoDagTotalNumberOfDatabases    : 10
    AutoDagTotalNumberOfServers      : 2
    AutoDagDatabasesRootFolderPath   : C:\ExchangeDatabases
    AutoDagVolumesRootFolderPath     : C:\ExchangeVolumes
    AutoDagAllServersInstalled       : False
    AutoDagAutoReseedEnabled         : True
    AutoDagDiskReclaimerEnabled      : True
    AutoDagBitlockerEnabled          : False
    AutoDagFIPSCompliant             : False
    AutoDagAutoRedistributeEnabled   : True
    AutoDagSIPEnabled                : False

We get no errors when we run Manage-MCDB -ConfigureMCDBOnServer only the warnings that the MetaCacheDatabaseStatus for DB xx is disabled...

As quoted we did a failover then: 

"A server failover must occur for MCDB databases to be created on the active server"

And here is the Point we stuck then the DBNAME.mcdb Folders are created by the Server but the .edb Files inside dont get created the Directorys are all empty...

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus:

MetaCacheDatabaseStatus        : Offline
    MetaCacheDatabaseStatusMessage : Partition EDB file 'C:\ExchangeMetaCacheDbs\DBNAME\DBNAME.mcdb\DBNAME-mcdb.edb' was not found.

When we disable MCDB on the Server we see that the Mountpoints and Directorys removed correct by the Server...

MCDB-Manage -DagName dag -ServerAllowMCDB:$false -Servername SERVERNAME

thanks

regards

harald

Friday, June 19, 2020 6:51 AM
  • Hi,

MCDB seems not for DAG without AutoReseed:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/high-availability/database-availability-groups/metacachedatabase-setup?view=exchserver-2019

Prerequisites

The following prerequisites are required for successful configuration and use of MCDB:

1. The DAG is configured for AutoReseed.

For more information, see the following topics:

2. RAW SSD drives are installed with the same SSD count and size for each server in the DAG. Make sure that all SSDs are completely empty, unformatted, and not write-protected. To verify this, you can use use DiskPart or Clear-Disk.

3. Exchange Server 2019.

Regards, 

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 22, 2020 8:45 AM
  • anyone here can provide support? or did we need to open a call
    Monday, June 22, 2020 12:46 PM
  • Hi,

Please check the information I post that you need to configure Autoreseed before deploying Metacache.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 26, 2020 9:27 AM