none
Need Help with applying SCInterOP KB2274165 - HP OM and Connector fail to start up on reboot after installing CU update??? RRS feed

• Question

• ____,

I have aplied the SCInterOP KB2274165 patch as advised in the documentation however it seems to have screwed the Event Consumer and our HPOM install. HP OM 8.0 on Windows server 2003.

After installing the patch on the HPOM server it actually asked for a reboot. However after rebooting the server HP OM fails to start up correctly and the server stays on the "Applying Computer Settings" for a very long time and the Event Consumer crashes and the OvServerMonitor service failes to start. In the event log there are two obvious events that I see:

In the system Log I get:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7022
    Date:  4/08/2010
    Time:  6:25:33 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: XXXXXXX
    Description:
    The System Center OpsMgr Event Consumer for HP OpenView service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Application log shows thes HPOM errors:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HPOV-MAA
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1024
    Date:  4/08/2010
    Time:  6:24:07 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: XXXXXXX
    Description:
    Cannot read contents of file D:/Program Files/HP/HP BTO Software/data\log\System.txt.
    System Error Number: 33 (21) - The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.
     (OpC20-64)

If I uninstall the event consumer completely the server reboots fine. Does anyone know why this could happen.

Is it possible the install has screwed up the Event onsumer? Is there a way of completely removing the consumer and re-installing. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing with the same problems.

Could there be a deadlock for system.txt between Event Consumer and HP OM on service start up when server is rebooted??

Assitance would be much appreciated.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 8:40 AM

Answers

• Hi STeve,

Thanks for your feedback.

Just recently I got information back that this symptom is actually a known issue with the version of HP OM we are running. It is actually a problem with a DLL in HP OM and not the connector itself. I probably jumped the gun and panicked a little when I submitted this problem. Anyhow this was in our UAT environment and that is why we perform testing before we go to production.

After further testing we found that the connector was working correctly however to work around this problem  we need to allow the server to come up and then restart the Consumer and everything worked as it should.

HP have a patch that will overcome this problem and we hope to implement this in the coming weeks.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:34 AM

All replies

• I do not know what would be causing this, but we will research it.  There are no updates in this patch specifically for HP OMW, so you do not need to apply this update on the Interop Provider.  I would recommend installing the provider and only the first update released.  In the meantime, we will research this to see if we can replicate the issue. 

I will let you know our findings.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Muldoon [MSFT]
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:13 PM
  • Also, were you at the RTM version of the Connector/Provider when you implemented this update or had you already applied the first update, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975774/en-us?  This will assist us in trying to replicate this.  I know I have applied this update to an HP OMW 8 server and did not see this issue. 

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Muldoon [MSFT]
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:27 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.

We had already been using the KB975774 which was applied not long after it was released. So we have been using it for quite some time without any issues.

The reason we were looking at upgrading the connector to the latest patch was that we were experiencing the time descrepencies that were highlighted in the knowledge base article for the CU2 release. The times of the Alerts in HP OM did not match the times in the SCOM console.

It is unusual that we are seeing this error.

Problem is that I cannot install the connector, no matter what version,  without experiencing issues with HPOM. The biggest problem we have is that the connector hangs on server start up and therefore does not work.

Regards

Tony

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 11:40 PM
  • Tony,

Try re-installing CU1 on the HP OM server then setting the connector service to 'Manual' startup then reboot the server. Give HP OM a couple minutes to startup then try starting the connector service and see if it starts working properly?

Let us know the results.

Regards,

-Steve

• Proposed as answer by Robert_Hearn Monday, August 9, 2010 7:02 PM
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Hi STeve,

Thanks for your feedback.

Just recently I got information back that this symptom is actually a known issue with the version of HP OM we are running. It is actually a problem with a DLL in HP OM and not the connector itself. I probably jumped the gun and panicked a little when I submitted this problem. Anyhow this was in our UAT environment and that is why we perform testing before we go to production.

After further testing we found that the connector was working correctly however to work around this problem  we need to allow the server to come up and then restart the Consumer and everything worked as it should.

HP have a patch that will overcome this problem and we hope to implement this in the coming weeks.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:34 AM
  • Tony,

Thanks for updating us on the issue. Hopefully this thread will be helpful for other that may run across this issue.

Regards,

-Steve

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Tony...

Thank you for sharing. 

Do you have any specifics on your environment, or the type of environment, that may result in this issue?  We have seen the 1024 error you mentioned in the past.  We are looking to apply CU2 to our QA environment and I'm wondering if we also could have the underlying issue.  I was hoping to find out more information about your situation and what HP has said, if I could.

You mentioned you are at OMW 8.0.  We are at 8.10 (Build A.16.1.76.8) according to the help/about screen. 

vpstat -p shows

The latest installed patches are:
    OMW_00032, OMW_00041, OMW_00043, OMW_00044, OMW_00060

Thank you and good luck with the upcoming patch.

Kate

Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:04 PM
  • We are using HPOM 9.0 in windows server 2008 R2 ent. And we are also facing this issue?

Could I know how to resolve it? Thanks

Michael Chiang

Saturday, July 29, 2017 4:27 PM