SCCM 2012 and SCSM 2012 install on same server RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have one Win2008R2SP1 server hosting System Center 2012 (CM, VMM & Orchestra), and another SQL2008R2 Cluster for their associated DB's.

The boss wants to use the existing servers to install SCSM 2012. His suggestion is to install SM on the existing SC server, the datawarehouse server on the SQL Cluster, and setup seperate instances for their associated db's.

My initial research suggests this is not possible. For starters, SCSM 2012 requires the SQL2008R2 Native Client. From what I've read there is a bug in SCCM 2012 which means the SQL2008R2 Native Client can't be used. (Assume SCCM will be patched at some point for this).

As for installing the datawarehouse server on the SQL Cluster, I assume this is simply not possible or supported for that matter.

So is what my boss wants even possible or should i put more effort convincing him we need at least two more servers? (one for SM Server and another for the datawarehouse server). We would utilitse the existing SQL cluster to host seperate instances for their associated DB's

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From a supportability standpoint I'm 80% sure that this is not supported.

There are several other reasons why I don't like your scenario.

• Performance
    • Single point of failure
    • There will for sure be situations where (as you mention yourself) be situations where one products doesn't like something the other product needs.
    • General rule of thumb - Don't mix System Center products on the same OS

All System Center products are candidates for virtualization, which I think you should look at, instead of putting everthing on the same OS.

So my answer to you is - Tell your boss that this is simply a very stupid path to persue, and will only leed to problems.

You should look a virtualize the products.

Br,

Kenneth Bess - http://www.systemcenterblog.net

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From a supportability standpoint I'm 80% sure that this is not supported.

There are several other reasons why I don't like your scenario.

• Performance
    • Single point of failure
    • There will for sure be situations where (as you mention yourself) be situations where one products doesn't like something the other product needs.
    • General rule of thumb - Don't mix System Center products on the same OS

All System Center products are candidates for virtualization, which I think you should look at, instead of putting everthing on the same OS.

So my answer to you is - Tell your boss that this is simply a very stupid path to persue, and will only leed to problems.

You should look a virtualize the products.

Br,

Kenneth Bess - http://www.systemcenterblog.net

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:17 AM
  • I just got done with a SCSM, SCCM, SCOM implementation at a customer. We architected this way:

SCSM: Had its own Server

SCSM DB: On its own DB Server

SCSM DW: Had its own Server

SCCM: Had its own Server

SCOM: Had its own Server

And... pile on as much memory as you can or your budget will allow :). All of the above severs had about 32 mb of memory.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 5:55 PM