none
Deploying KB 2775511 Win7 Hotfix Rollup as a regular SCCM package RRS feed

• Question

• We are trying to deploy this KB as a regular SCCM package, as it has not yet been approved to be put into SCUP, using SCCM 2007 SP2 R3.

We are using the commandline:  wusa.exe AMD64-all-windows6.1-kb2775511-v2-x64_ec18cc10e27faf443c17e7a8073c9eba773eb13e.msu /quiet /norestart , but...after the install (which seems to be going OK, and we get ErrCode of 0) we cannot tell if it got deployed or not, not showing in ARP, Patches, or under the Windows folder as a discrete or multiple hotfixe folders.

What's the correct way to detect computers with this hotfix rollup installed?

Thanks.

Monday, June 3, 2013 8:08 PM

Answers

• If you've confirmed that the update registers itself with QFE, then you'll use DCM to determine if it's installed, and create the collections based on the DCM compliance.

If you are thinking about inventorying the QFE (Win32_QuickFixEngineering) items with ConfigMgr, stop yourself right there.  You do not want to inventory every patch on every device, as this is a ton of data you don't actually need, don't want to collect, and don't want to have to back up.

See this article by Sherry Kissinger about using DCM to look for just what you want.

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/skissinger/archive/2009/08/21/example-use-dcm-instead-of-custom-hardware-inventory-edit.aspx

Your WQL Query could look something like this:

Namespace:  root\cimv2
    Class: Win32_QuickFixEngineering
    Property: HotfixID
    Where Clause: Hotfix Like '%2775511%'

I hope that helps!

Nash

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Now Micro - My Blog Posts
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful".

• Edited by NPherson Monday, June 3, 2013 8:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bill Bradley Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:03 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 8:29 PM

All replies

• From a command line, you can try:

wmic qfe where (HotfixID like '%2775511%') list full

I hope that helps,

Nash

Monday, June 3, 2013 8:17 PM
  • Thanks, Nash, but, how can I find it using "regular" SCCM HW & SW inventory, esp to construct deployment collections?
    Monday, June 3, 2013 8:19 PM
  • If you've confirmed that the update registers itself with QFE, then you'll use DCM to determine if it's installed, and create the collections based on the DCM compliance.

If you are thinking about inventorying the QFE (Win32_QuickFixEngineering) items with ConfigMgr, stop yourself right there.  You do not want to inventory every patch on every device, as this is a ton of data you don't actually need, don't want to collect, and don't want to have to back up.

See this article by Sherry Kissinger about using DCM to look for just what you want.

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/skissinger/archive/2009/08/21/example-use-dcm-instead-of-custom-hardware-inventory-edit.aspx

Your WQL Query could look something like this:

Namespace:  root\cimv2
    Class: Win32_QuickFixEngineering
    Property: HotfixID
    Where Clause: Hotfix Like '%2775511%'

I hope that helps!

Nash

• Edited by NPherson Monday, June 3, 2013 8:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bill Bradley Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:03 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Hmmm...so would this NOT be a normal patch, even if we were able to deploy via SUP (I guess difference between hotfixes and patches)?

Since SUP COULD deploy this, wouldn't there be some way of inventorying it via that side of things?

Thanks.

Monday, June 3, 2013 8:41 PM
  • If you import it with SCUP, then your devices would start evaluating their compliance against it.

But... I don't remember if it is possible to build collections based off Software Update Management compliance in ConfigMgr 2007...

Monday, June 3, 2013 8:46 PM
  • as a side note, you don't need to use SCUP, this update is published to MU catalog and can be imported directly into WSUS/SUP.

This is what I've done and it's working fine for us.

I followed this great blog post:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/michaelgriswold/archive/2013/03/13/kb2775511-deployment-for-the-sccm-admin.aspx

edit: oops, sorry, I just noticed you've commented on Mike's blog...

it does register in "Installed Updates" on my box, and also appears in the WMI qfe output:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2775511  WXA085304PR700  Update                        KB2775511               NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM  5/21/2013                                      

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Monday, June 3, 2013 9:30 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 9:18 PM
  • Would that we could do it, just haven't gotten it approved, yet.

BTW, does this hotfix rollup show up in normal SUP reports, so you do not have to use DCM?

I found a perfect article on...creating DCM to use to inventory QFE hotfixes:  http://t3chn1ck.wordpress.com/2010/10/20/sccm-dcm-inventory-for-installed-windows-hotfixes/

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 2:02 AM
  • BTW, does this hotfix rollup show up in normal SUP reports, so you do not have to use DCM?

yep.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:57 AM