none
Uninstall Windows Media Player 11 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SMS 2003 in our system and I have been instructed to unistall Windows Media Player 11 from all computers on our network. How do I do this? OR Is there any option that I can use to ensure that people are not able to use this media player?

Regards.
    Funflex
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:34 AM

Answers

• and if you know that your workstations system drive is C:\Windows
    That's why he should use %windir% => %windir%\$ntuninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /norestart
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:18 AM
  • Your help worked. Here is how I did it:

1. I created a package with no data source as I didnt use any installable file.
    2. I created a Program with the following command: %windir%\$ntuninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /norestart
    3. I created an advert

The command ran successifully for the sample collection I created.
    Thanks for that Gents.

Now this worked for Media Player 11 only. Is there any means that can apply to the lower versions like 10 and 9?
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:08 AM
  • Is there any means that can apply to the lower versions like 10 and 9?
    Those type of questions are not ConfigMgr related, because removing an app is specific to each app and there's no one fits all command line or whatever. ConfigMgr just kicks of the command line. You could try http://lmgtfy.com/?q=uninstall+windows+media+player+10 to get an idea how to remove it.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:53 AM

All replies

• OR Is there any option that I can use to ensure that people are not able to use this media player?

Software restriction policies can do that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324036/en-us
    Or uninstall media player using: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934372/en-us (Method 2; check if there are command line parameters available so that the uninstall will be unattended)
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 8:49 AM
  • The second link will need me going to each machine individually to uninstall the media player which is tiresome fo a large enterprise like ours. Any option that I can use?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:29 PM
  •  Any option that I can use?
    You mentioned that you've got SMS 2003. That can be used to kick off that command line (after you found out how to run it unattended).
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:49 PM
  • Yes I'm running SMS 2003 but I dont know how to run the command unattended. Can you help me please? Regards
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:51 AM
  • As suggested by Torsten , you can follow the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934372/en-us

Methos 2 will work using SMS 2003.

Method 2: Run a program to remove Windows Media Player

If Method 1 does not work, you can use this procedure to uninstall the core of Windows Media Player.
    1. Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\$ntUninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe, and then click OK.
    2. Click Next, and then click Finish.

Check the spuninst.exe /? for switches for Silent uninstallation.

Friday, March 12, 2010 10:30 AM
  • I wrote this script %windir%\$ntuninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe and saved it as wmp.bat I created a package, a program with this command wmp.bat /quiet /norestart and an advert. When I distribute it to a sample collection, it is received and waits for content. Later it fails bringing this report "Program failed (download failed - content mismatch)". I refreshed the package but still the same.
    Where did I go wrong or what should I do then? 

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 6:41 AM
  • I wrote this script %windir%\$ntuninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe and saved it as wmp.bat I created a package, a program with this command wmp.bat /quiet /norestart 
    wmp.bat is not able to accept command line parameters if it just contains that. Why don't you just create a package without source files and use %windir%\$ntuninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /norestart as the command line? (if spuninst.exe for WMP 11 accepts those parameters)
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 7:41 AM
  • yes you can use that and if you know that your workstations system drive is C:\Windows...then you can put following commandline.

C:\windows\$ntuninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /norestart
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:04 AM
  • and if you know that your workstations system drive is C:\Windows
    That's why he should use %windir% => %windir%\$ntuninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /norestart
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:18 AM
  • Your help worked. Here is how I did it:

1. I created a package with no data source as I didnt use any installable file.
    2. I created a Program with the following command: %windir%\$ntuninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /quiet /norestart
    3. I created an advert

The command ran successifully for the sample collection I created.
    Thanks for that Gents.

Now this worked for Media Player 11 only. Is there any means that can apply to the lower versions like 10 and 9?
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:08 AM
  • Is there any means that can apply to the lower versions like 10 and 9?
    Those type of questions are not ConfigMgr related, because removing an app is specific to each app and there's no one fits all command line or whatever. ConfigMgr just kicks of the command line. You could try http://lmgtfy.com/?q=uninstall+windows+media+player+10 to get an idea how to remove it.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:53 AM