none
Question regarding update baselines RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I use VMM 2016 Update rollup 7, my WSUS server is part of an SCCM 1902 installation.

I discovered the compliance view in VMM sometime last year, following this doc page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/vmm/update-server?view=sc-vmm-2016 Assigned built-in update baselines to my host groups and stuff.

I figured out there was a sort of problem with the patching of my hyper-v hosts because I also had a software update deployment in my server collections in SCCM. Following microsoft's guidelines, I removed my hosts from any software update deployment (except for Windows Defender) to manage them exclusively via VMM as it's far more convenient. Following that, I started an update synchronization (in Library view > Update Baselines > Right click > Synchronize Update Server), it took an hour or so and completed without error.

Now when I look at my update baselines that I have assigned to my hosts, I don't see any update when searching for 2019. I can click "Add" and search for 2019 and I can see them and I have to accept them manually.

Is there a way to do this automatically? I get the built-in baselines were created with all the good updates when I configured the WSUS server in VMM. I thought these baselines were automatically updated with the right updates as synchronizations occured. Do I have to do this myself?

If I do, assuming I want to deploy the latest Windows updates on my hosts, would you recommend pressing Ctrl+A and just add everything to my baseline so my hosts see them as available?

I'm still figuring out VMM. I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Based on my understanding, you must add the updates manually in the baseline. This is by design.

I think you can add all of the updates to the baseline, which are necessary for the hosts. They are available to the hosts.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Hello,

I would like to check if there is any update about this case.

If you still have any questions about this problem, please feel free to submit here.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 14, 2019 5:55 AM
  • Hello Andy,

I did as we thought - added everything to the baseline. I was able to update my hosts so I'm guessing it works, but I'm curious whether there are any best practices out there on how to use this feature.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 12:17 PM
  • Hello,

Understanding.

As a workaround, you can automate the operation by using the script. The following blog article introduces this method.

http://www.isolation.se/scvmm-automatic-baseline-update-script/

Additionally, the following blog article introduces the process workflow for the baseline, and hope it helpful.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/System-Center-Blog/VMM-2012-Update-Management-Getting-Started-with-Sample-Baselines/ba-p/344146

Best regards,

Andy Liu

• Marked as answer by Quaracal Tuesday, October 22, 2019 5:25 PM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Hello,
    To make the thread clear to read, I write a summary here:

Issue Symptom:
    ==========
    After the Basedline is created, the new updates are not synced with the the Baseline.

(Possible) Cause:
    ===========
    This is by design, you must add the updates manually in the baseline.

Workaround:
    ========
    You can automate the operation by using the script. 

Reference:
    =======
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/System-Center-Blog/VMM-2012-Update-Management-Getting-Started-with-Sample-Baselines/ba-p/344146

Best regards,
    Andy Liu

Friday, November 8, 2019 6:30 AM