none
The MP Catalog Is Moving RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I'd like to let you know about the transition of the MP Catalog from it's previous home on TechNet to http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/systemcenter/managementpackcatalog During the next few days, we will be migrating all links to the new site.  While this is happening, you may temporarily be able to visit both the old catalog and the new catalog.

Please try out the new catalog and let us know what you think.  What do you like about it, and what could we improve?

Filip
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Filip.

It looks sharp and modern. Since the site isn't fully functional yet (it is still in transition) it is hard to tell how it functions. But the looks are very promissing. In order to give it more exposure I have blogged about it: http://thoughtsonopsmgr.blogspot.com/2009/12/mp-catalog-new-vs-old.html
    Best regards, Marnix Wolf

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:19 AM
  • Hi,
    You should add a link to the MP guide, for example here at the Exchange MP download page, I cant see a easy link to the MP guide
    http://pinpoint.microsoft.com/en-US/PartnerDetails.aspx?PartnerId=4297702754&ProductId=12884902082&CurrentTab=1

What is the "location" thing. It cant locate Redmond, and when will we use it?

Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:37 AM
  • Can't wait for the call tomorrow.  Hope you guys are ready for some heated discussions!  Anders, bring your viking ear muffs.. Don't want you to learn more bad language in English.
    Regards, Blake Email: mengottohotmail.com Blog: http//discussitnow.spaces.live.com
    Friday, December 18, 2009 2:17 AM
  • Hi Anders,

The "Download" button opens the page that has both the MP .msi download link and the guide download link -- it doesn't actually start the download.  (Minor annoyance to me: I had to enable pop-ups for it to work; control+click wouldn't open it in a new tab.)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of attachments are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 6:50 AM
  • I would like to be able to subscribe to an RSS feed for all the management packs, that way it would be easy for me to see when a new version of one that I use is added without having to check back regularly.
    Friday, December 18, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Well, I don't know. To me it seems that MP's are not very well suited for Pinpoint. I do find the search criteria rather funny (ridiculous?). Show me all SQL MP's in a 200 mile radius ??? On the other hand something very basic as show me all MP's from Microsoft sorted by Release Date doesn't seem to be possible ... at least I didn't find how.
    So I guess I don't like it.

Cheers,
    Serge  
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 12:10 PM
  • Filip,
    Old Catlog looks more organized and easy to download, in the new catlog is not properly filter is not properly defined and not easy to sort it.

Eg. I cannot list all SCOM 2007 MP, sort with release date. Which will give a quick access to the newely released MP's.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 7:46 PM
  • I do not find it an improvement.......

It looks like that (besides the MS management packs) only commercial management packs are listed. I tried IBM, Dell and HP. But no link to the vendor sites (which were available on the old catalog).

It is annoying you can't sort on release date.

The colors are.... (well let's say that's a personall issue).

I can only see the version numbering when opening a link. It would be easier to see the version numbers (and release date) at the primary search results.

And I would like to be able to change the number of results on a page (I like scrolling over clicking on the arrows)

One positive thing: It is a lot faster than the old catalog site (I hope it will stay faster).
    Regards,
    Marc Klaver
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:00 PM
  • Two things that were noticeable: It needs the ability to sort by release date and the Version # needs to be in the heading for each MP
    thx
    John Bradshaw
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Two things that were noticeable: It needs the ability to sort by release date and the Version # needs to be in the heading for each MP
    thx
    John Bradshaw

I agree with Bradje. The release date and version are of major importance.
    What I liked in the 'old' MP catalog that the newest MP was on top, this should be possible with the new one? A peak at the catalog and I knew a newer MP was released.

Regards,
    Mark
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 7:42 AM
  • Ability to do the type of sorting as the old catalog seems to be needed. Seems overly complicated for something as simple as a management pack catalog.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Way to go M$!!!!  A great testimonial on how to "improve" things by taking a monumental step BACKWARDS..................
    Monday, January 4, 2010 5:21 PM
  • Any comments Filip? Are the comments being noted?
    Thx,
    John Bradshaw
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 7:59 PM
  • Hi everybody.

The site itself looks sharp and neat. But I am missing a couple of things here like the ability to sort MPs on Vendor, showing the newest MPs on top, sorting MPs on their product (MOM, SCOM RTM, SCOM R2), Release Date and so on.

Best regards, Marnix Wolf

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:10 AM
  • Pinpoint looks nice, but I must say I also like clean web pages like the older MP catalog. As always you've got to get used to the new layouts, but some things are missing in my opinion:

- Release date
    - Sort by vendor
    - Sort by release date
    - Show version as a header like 'Product/Platform' and 'Price' is shown

- Show search results in a clean tabular overview without all the descriptive information; only name, vendor, release date, version

Michiel Wouters

MCSE | MCTS SCCM & SCOM | System Center tech blog: http://michielw.blogspot.com
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:50 PM
  • Hi all,

I also miss the option to sort on release date in the new Pinpoint MP catalog. That's why I used our good old Microsoft Download Site for sorting on release date.

See my blogpost for more info: http://blogs.technet.com/stefan_stranger/archive/2010/01/07/old-mp-catalog-view.aspx

Regards, Stefan Stranger Microsoft Services
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Rest assured that we are watching and all of the feedback is being taken in.  The version you see is the first of several planned steps, and sort and search are high on the priority order for a update to come.

The thing we'd like to see the community do is drive ratings on the MP's you have.  This investment was key in being able to drive MP improvements based on customer input directly.

Sort, reverse order, what's new, and search are all coming.

Also, if you know of a missing vendor MP, help us help you by raising the awareness of the gap with the vendors.  With Pinpoint, the vendors own their MP listings and if they don't list them, they will not be there to find.  We are working this night and day with the vendors now - but a little customer love never hurts :)
    Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Looks nice, but is not as usable as the earlier one.

How about ability to choose "plain list" with only the titles and versions on a list rather than browsing several pages? (14 pages for SCOM 2007 R2 at the moment)

So I suggest adding few buttons where to choose "view with details" which would be the current UI and then "list with version and date details" at least.

-Tero
    MCT | MCSE | MCITP | MCTS SCOM & SCCM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:55 PM
  • We also need to know when new versions are released. We have Microsoft Update for everything else, why not some sort of update mechanism? Twitter is ok but how about something that feels like it comes from Microsoft? Someone mentioned using RSS for the catalog itself and that would be the best in my opinion.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:50 PM

• As with others in this thread,  I find the new interface very cumbersome.    I need to easily sort by release date without additional drill downs, to filter by vendor, and to search for specific keywords.    All of these are far too difficult to do on the new site.  

Regarding notifications - MOM 2005 had a nice feature called the Notifications Management Pack that would alert you about new MP releases.    This and some other options for MP release notifications in SCOM are discussed in the thread below

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/operationsmanagermgmtpacks/thread/3198b367-3788-44d6-a31b-e3b306045092

Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:37 PM
  • Instead of an RSS feed, what you can do is subscribe to the MPreleases twitter identity.  Every time a management pack is released, you will be able to find out about it via the twitter feed.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, February 1, 2010 12:03 AM
  • Getting used to the way the Pinpoint catalog works takes some experimentation.  Here are some easy ways to get a full list, avoiding the paging, for any vendor of for all packs regardless of vendor.  We still don't have within list vendor ordering so you can list everything from each vendor if you know the vendor's name.

If you are trying to figure out the fastest way to find management packs for you system center products, here are some navigation tips to help you find the management packs you are looking for.

Finding all of the management packs in a single, alphabetized (by name) sort, there is an easy way to get this in just two clicks.

1. First, click here to get to the System Center landing page on the Pinpoint products and services portal.
    2. Next, use your browsers CTRL-F search in page feature to quickly find any MP in the catalog

Finding managment packs from other companies is just as easy.  If you know the name of the thrid party, first find their Pinpoint landing page.  Then click on products and services.

Or

Click on the category link "Management Pack" in any management pack description in the list above.  This changes the search to be all items in Pinpoint that are categorized as management packs.

Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, February 1, 2010 12:05 AM
  • Getting used to the way the Pinpoint catalog works takes some experimentation.
    Isn't this the first clue the interface is not what is should be? I never had any problems navigating the Microsoft sites (they are always one of the best to use). With the Pinpoint catalog I have.....

Don't go where other large (vendor) sites are now. So please don't create a site where you need Google to search for the contents.
    Regards,
    Marc Klaver
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:28 AM
  • Dan,
    Your steps above still do not allow me to sort by date.  I don't have time to randomly type in the names of the 20 or so Packs I utilize just to see if a new version of the pack has been released.       Microsoft has made everyone's life harder by implementing this new site with some very basic functionality absent.     It would have been preferable if Microsoft had left the old site up while receiving comments on the new site. 

Additionally,  in the 2 1/2 months since the new site went active, I've seen no improvement in the structure of the site, even after all the suggestions from the user community.   

Is anything being done to provide a way for SCOM users to either easily sort by the most recent pack releases, or to participate in some type of notification mechanism so we can keep track of pack updates? 

Scott...

Friday, February 26, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Yes, we are working on the changes that people are requesting.

The best notification mechanism right now is to either subscribe to the twitter feed @MPreleases, or set up an RSS on that feed.  Whenever a new pack is released, it gets a tweet.

We will get PinPoint to the place where it satisfies the scenarios that people are asking for.  The site updates quarterly right now - so the changes don't come instantly.  In the last quarterly update, we added sort by name (date didn't make it).  We have communicated the priority of this scenario and will be vigilant on making the improvements happen.

Best regards

Dan
    Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, February 26, 2010 5:06 PM
  • Finding managment packs from other companies is just as easy.
    With all due respect there is nothing "easy" about the Pinpoint site, tips or no tips. I echo everything the others here are saying. We've given up looking for new MPs because the site is so terrible and will just live with what we have installed until the site is made functional because right now it is completely broken.

I commend the system center folks for publically acknowledging there is a problem, but whomever made the decision to move to Pinpont in its current format needs a serious talking to from the Bobs from Office Space. :( There was nothing wrong with the old site. Sure maybe it wasn't as flashy, but it was leaps and bounds easier to use than this steaming pile is.

Looking forward to the fixes..... (crosses fingers)
    Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:10 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback Brian.  We're happy to take your frustration and provide a venting place for it.  Keeping up with new MP releases is easy.  Just follow the twitter feed.  That's where you will get notifications any time a new MP is released.  If you ever find that you can't find an MP that is in the catalog, let me know the name of that MP.  I am personally testing every feedback and so far have not found a single MP to be hard to find - usually within 10 seconds using best match. 

We'll keep working thru the scenarios and will be able to replicate all function of the old catalog in the near future.  Reverse sort order by date, filtering within the MP catagory by company, etc.  Hang in there - we are listening and making changes till we get it right :)
    Microsoft Corporation
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:14 PM