none
need to remove duplicated VMs references in SC-VMM console

Question

• We had a Hyper-V cluster go a little haywire during some hardware maintenance this past weekend.  The VM resources failed over to different nodes from which they ran prior to the maintenance.  Since multiple servers had to be rebooted, SC-VMM lost connections to the agents.

When the VMs came back online and VMM located them on the new hosts, it still has an entry in the main "virtual machines" pane in the VMM console.  For example, VM1 failed over from host1 to host4.  VMM shows the VM running with a "green" status on host4, but also still present on host1 with a status of "update failed," job status of "failed," and a last job error of one of the following:

Error (2915)
    The WS-Management service cannot process the request. Object not found on the host1.domain server.
     (Unknown error (0x80338000))

Recommended Action
    Ensure that the agent is installed and running. If the error persists, reboot host1.domain and then try the operation again.

Error (802)
    The VM file VM1 is already in use by another VM. 

Recommended Action
    Wait for the object to become available, and then try the operation again.

If I try to repair the bogus VM, I get the same error messages.  If I try to delete the bogus VM, I get a warning that the configuration and VHDs will be removed.

These extra instances are making management very confusing.  I really don't want to blow up my VMM configuration and start over.  Is there a different way to do this?

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 4:24 PM

Answers

• There are a couple of ways to accomplish this. 

1) Remove the host cluster from management, and then re-add it back.  This will remove any duplicated VMs that display the "missing" status on one host and "Ok" on another.

2) Use the provided script to remove VMs with the "missing" status using SQL Management Studio.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff641854.aspx

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] -- posting provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights

Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:12 PM

All replies

• There are a couple of ways to accomplish this. 

1) Remove the host cluster from management, and then re-add it back.  This will remove any duplicated VMs that display the "missing" status on one host and "Ok" on another.

2) Use the provided script to remove VMs with the "missing" status using SQL Management Studio.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff641854.aspx

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] -- posting provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights

Thursday, June 2, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Excellent!  The script was exactly what I needed.  I did change the ObjectStatus to 107 from 220, since the phantom VMs weren't "missing" in my cluster.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 5:27 PM
  • Thanks Mike, removing the host cluster and re-adding it back solved the orphaned VM.
    Jay Valambhia | www.netflo.co.uk
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:33 PM