Restart Computer Task Sequence fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone.  I'm having an issue with my Task Sequences not being able to complete the "Restart Computer" task if the option for "currently installed default operating system" is selected.  If I select the option for "boot image assigned to this task sequence", the restart works just fine.  The error code I receive is 0x80004005.  This is a task sequence consists of the default options for "Install an existing image package" and added the Restart Computer task at the end.  The task sequence completed successfully until it hit the Restart Computer task, then errored out.  I disabled all of the other task and tried with just the Restart Computer task, same error.  I've tried creating a new custom task sequence with just the Restart Computer task, same error.

Some more details:

I am booting off of a SCCM Task Sequence media CD. 

I have tried disabling the "Notify user" option - makes no difference.

Any help or insight, suggestions... anything... they are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:55 PM

Answers

• Sabrina, I recreated a new boot media ISO as per the article you quoted, but the same problem occurred - the TS fails right before the restart.

Jason, this is a OSD task sequence.  But everything is stripped from it for testing purposes (the same error occured in a standard TS created from choosing "Install existing image package" and adding in a "Restart in Current OS" step).

Jason/Joe, after examining the smsts.log file, I found this section:

-FALSE, HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\executionengine\engine.cxx,561)
    -Task sequence cannot continue after reboot because TS Manager is not configured to auto-start or GINA is not installed
    -CheckForRebootRequest(&bRebootInitiated), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\executionengine\engine.cxx,274)
    -Fatal error is returned in check for reboot request of the action (Restart Computer). Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows)
    -An error (0x80004005) is encountered in execution of the task sequence

So, at this point it appears I'm just doing something wrong, or just not the way the system was designed to be used.  How do I configure the TS Manager to auto-start after reboot?

EDIT:  After reading http://blogs.technet.com/b/smsandmom/archive/2008/10/10/configmgr-2007-osd-task-sequence-fails-with-task-sequence-cannot-continue-after-reboot-because-ts-manager-is-not-configured-to-auto-start-or-gina-is-not-installed.aspx, it appears that my problem is by way of design, and I'm trying to do something that isn't possible with the way I've configured my Task Sequence, is that correct?  Is the "Reboot to Current OS" option only going to work after the Setup windows and ConfigMgr", no matter what?
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:18 PM

All replies

• 0x80004005 Refers to access denied. At the time of the break, run your command line for troubleshooting and have a look at the SMSTS.log file. That will tell you what the error is pointing to. 

Sounds like the break might be coming right before you set your Restart Computer task. 

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Is this an OSD task sequence? How did you build it? Can you post a screenshot? Have you examined smsts.log on the system?

Note that error code 80004005 is not Access Denied, it is a generic error code that simply means "An error has occured" and thus you must dig a little deeper to discover what happened.

Jason | http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/jsandys | Twitter @JasonSandys
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if the following article helps:

ConfigMgr 2007: OSD Task Sequence Fails with the error "An error occurred while retrieving policy for this computer (0x80004005)"

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, April 4, 2011 2:51 AM
  • Sabrina, I recreated a new boot media ISO as per the article you quoted, but the same problem occurred - the TS fails right before the restart.

Jason, this is a OSD task sequence.  But everything is stripped from it for testing purposes (the same error occured in a standard TS created from choosing "Install existing image package" and adding in a "Restart in Current OS" step).

Jason/Joe, after examining the smsts.log file, I found this section:

-FALSE, HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\executionengine\engine.cxx,561)
    -Task sequence cannot continue after reboot because TS Manager is not configured to auto-start or GINA is not installed
    -CheckForRebootRequest(&bRebootInitiated), HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\client\tasksequence\executionengine\engine.cxx,274)
    -Fatal error is returned in check for reboot request of the action (Restart Computer). Unspecified error (Error: 80004005; Source: Windows)
    -An error (0x80004005) is encountered in execution of the task sequence

So, at this point it appears I'm just doing something wrong, or just not the way the system was designed to be used.  How do I configure the TS Manager to auto-start after reboot?

EDIT:  After reading http://blogs.technet.com/b/smsandmom/archive/2008/10/10/configmgr-2007-osd-task-sequence-fails-with-task-sequence-cannot-continue-after-reboot-because-ts-manager-is-not-configured-to-auto-start-or-gina-is-not-installed.aspx, it appears that my problem is by way of design, and I'm trying to do something that isn't possible with the way I've configured my Task Sequence, is that correct?  Is the "Reboot to Current OS" option only going to work after the Setup windows and ConfigMgr", no matter what?
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:18 PM
  • Correct on that last statement. Why would you want to reboot into the previous OS?

OSD task sequences are about laying down a new OS. You can start from the previous OS using an TS advert, but it doesn't make sense to boot back into the old OS once you've booted into PE and begun to configure the new OS.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 12:49 AM
  • Correct on that last statement. Why would you want to reboot into the previous OS?

OSD task sequences are about laying down a new OS. You can start from the previous OS using an TS advert, but it doesn't make sense to boot back into the old OS once you've booted into PE and begun to configure the new OS.

It doesn't make sense when looking at it from outside the box.  It originally started out as me building an OSD task sequence that would put the target computer into a workgroup.  After testing that, I realized the workgroup computer wasn't joining the SCCM site, with the way the TS was configured by default (I later found out I could add the SMSSLP=<server locator point> into the Installation Properties of the config client setup step).  After some changing around of the steps in the TS, I threw in a reboot to try to run a "SCCM Client Repair" task.  I believe I also removed the "Setup windows and ConfigMgr" step, as well, and then threw in a reboot.  Now I know the reason the Reboot to Current OS step failed was because I removed the "Setup windows and ConfigMgr" step. 

Thanks for your help, everyone.  I learned some new things about SCCM from this debacle, and that's always a good thing.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:43 PM