none
Enable MPs for certain computers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Basic question here:

If I want to make a certain MP to only affect a specific computer or a specific group when importing it, what is the best way to do it?

When I've done it before, MPs that are enabled by default affects ALL our 400 servers, but I only want it to affect a specific amount of them. Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

Friday, February 21, 2014 10:22 AM

Answers

• Hi

What do you mean by "affect". Do you mean getting alerts from certain monitors or unwanted discovered objects?

One way would be that you have a test scom environment where you pretune or disable monitors and discoveries. Best practice would be creating an override MP, creating groups and then setting the overrides for the groups. When you have tuned your MP Export the override MP and Import it into your production Environment together with your seald MP's.

Cheers,

Stefan

Blog: http://blog.scomfaq.ch

Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:01 PM
  • One way is to disable the discovery for all objects except for that one server. this has to be done via an override. you should disable the object discovery on the base (root) class. For example- in SQL MP this discovery should be disabled on the "installation seed" class since all other SQL discoveries are targeted on this installation seed class.

other way is to deploy a custom registry on that one server, then create custom registry based discovery, create a populate a new custom class using this custom discovery and then using this class in your rules/monitors.

Thanks, S K Agrawal

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:06 AM
  • Same answer as this thread, but when you enable you select a group containing instances of the same type that the discovery targets.

In other words, if the seed discovery target Windows Server, create a group of Windows Server instances and enable the seed discovery for that group.

Jonathan Almquist | SCOMskills, LLC (http://scomskills.com)

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:22 AM

All replies

• Object discoveries which are defined in out-of-box MPs cannot be modified, we have to create custom MPs with custom classes and discoveries using Authoring console or VSAE to carry out your requirement

SCOM Seniors - Please confirm, if this is an apt response

Thanks

Faizan

Saturday, February 22, 2014 6:54 AM
  • Hi

What do you mean by "affect". Do you mean getting alerts from certain monitors or unwanted discovered objects?

One way would be that you have a test scom environment where you pretune or disable monitors and discoveries. Best practice would be creating an override MP, creating groups and then setting the overrides for the groups. When you have tuned your MP Export the override MP and Import it into your production Environment together with your seald MP's.

Cheers,

Stefan

Blog: http://blog.scomfaq.ch

Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:01 PM
  • There is no one size fit all solution and depends on MP architecture. Most of the Management packs which you download from Microsoft are sealed, you cannot modify the MP behavior except using override, and usually compose a discovery MP and monitoring MP. Take Windows Server Operating System MP as an example, it contains Windows Server 2008 discovery, Windows Server 2008 R2 discovery, Windows Server 2012 discovery, Windows Server 2012 R2 discovery, Windows Server 2008 Monitoring, Windows Server 2008 R2 Monitoring, Windows Server 2012 Monitoring and Windows Server 2012 R2 Monitoring. As a result, I import all discovery MPs and then using override to disable all computers discovery except a specific computer or a specific group. Then I import all remaining monitoring MPs.
    Roger
    Monday, February 24, 2014 3:21 AM
  • There is no one size fit all solution and depends on MP architecture. Most of the Management packs which you download from Microsoft are sealed, you cannot modify the MP behavior except using override, and usually compose a discovery MP and monitoring MP. Take Windows Server Operating System MP as an example, it contains Windows Server 2008 discovery, Windows Server 2008 R2 discovery, Windows Server 2012 discovery, Windows Server 2012 R2 discovery, Windows Server 2008 Monitoring, Windows Server 2008 R2 Monitoring, Windows Server 2012 Monitoring and Windows Server 2012 R2 Monitoring. As a result, I import all discovery MPs and then using override to disable all computers discovery except a specific computer or a specific group. Then I import all remaining monitoring MPs.
    Roger

Thank you Roger (and Stefan). I will try this.

Stefan - We have a complex SCOM environment with servers belonging to about 40-50 different customers, and for example I don't want MP A to affect customer X or MP B to affect customer Z etc. etc.

Monday, February 24, 2014 1:53 PM
  • One way is to disable the discovery for all objects except for that one server. this has to be done via an override. you should disable the object discovery on the base (root) class. For example- in SQL MP this discovery should be disabled on the "installation seed" class since all other SQL discoveries are targeted on this installation seed class.

other way is to deploy a custom registry on that one server, then create custom registry based discovery, create a populate a new custom class using this custom discovery and then using this class in your rules/monitors.

Thanks, S K Agrawal

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:06 AM
  • Same answer as this thread, but when you enable you select a group containing instances of the same type that the discovery targets.

In other words, if the seed discovery target Windows Server, create a group of Windows Server instances and enable the seed discovery for that group.

Jonathan Almquist | SCOMskills, LLC (http://scomskills.com)

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 5:22 AM