none
How to disable PXE NIC boot from Windows?

Question

• Hi!

I would like to know if it exist a standard way to disable PXE NIC boot from Windows?

I'm asking that since I'm working on a new corporate Windows image and I want it to be the most automated (and media less).

Destinations PCs are Lenovo (IBM) PCs.

Thanks.

Claude Lachapelle

Systems Administrator, MCSE

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 1:23 PM

Answers

• I see this is a really old thread so I'll just throw in an answer in hope that it can be closed.

Lenovo has a tool called SRCMOS that is a free download. It is a Windows tool to backup and restore the bios. Use it to backup the bios from a computer where you have manually set all the settings to your preference. You can then run the tool from your deployment task sequence to restore the bios on your pcs during deployment.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:57 PM

All replies

• To my knowledge, there is not a standard way.   The boot order, and whether a particular device appears in the boot order, is a BIOS setting, and each hardware vendor provides his own tools for changing these settings.  Essentially you want the network boot (PXE) to be removed from the boot order.  Note that because this is a BIOS setting, it's not something you can influence by changes to your Windows image.

But if the destination PCs are all Lenovo PCs, then Lenovo might have a utility that works across all of their PCs.  You'd have to actively run this utility as part of your Windows image deployment process.  A ConfigMgr task sequence would be a great way to accomplish the running of this utility.  In any case, the existence of such a utility is a question you'd have to research with Lenovo.

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 4:51 PM
  • I see this is a really old thread so I'll just throw in an answer in hope that it can be closed.

Lenovo has a tool called SRCMOS that is a free download. It is a Windows tool to backup and restore the bios. Use it to backup the bios from a computer where you have manually set all the settings to your preference. You can then run the tool from your deployment task sequence to restore the bios on your pcs during deployment.
    Monday, February 22, 2010 8:57 PM