none
The source directory doesn't exist or the SMS service cannot access it, Win32 last error = 5

Question

• I'm having problems distributing an application to a distribution point. The error that I'm getting in distmgr.log is:

"The source directory [path] doesn't exist or the SMS service cannot access it, Win32 last error = 5"

I have everything running on one server; the package source is shared as pkg$ and I can access it with my account. The share permissions on pkg$ are set to give my site server full control using its computer account. The NTFS security permissions are also set to give my site server full control using the computer account. I even rebuilt permissions on the share.

To me it seems that I have all the right permissions set up, but I'm still getting this error. Can anyone help? Thanks!

• Edited by patissiere Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:32 PM added reference to distmgr.log
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:32 PM

Answers

• I'm using Windows Server 2012. It turns out that granting the site server computer account share access wasn't enough; I had to grant the site server's SYSTEM account share access also. Once I did that everything worked ok. I thought that I only had to use the computer account, but since the package source is on the same server I guess that it's using system to access it. Thank you everyone for your help!
    • Marked as answer by patissiere Friday, July 12, 2013 12:51 PM
    Friday, July 12, 2013 12:51 PM

All replies

• I just tried using PSEXEC -i -s -d CMD to see if I can connect to the share, but I got an access denied message. I'm able to use net use to mount the drive, but I can't actually switch to it. I gave the computer account full control NTFS permissions to the entire drive but I'm still getting this error.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:41 PM
  • What type of server is pkg$ share on? Windows, NetApp, CIFS, ???

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:33 PM
  • Error 5 always means rights issues.

You may try to grant full everyone share permissions if your security policies allow this.

Regards,

Sabrina

Friday, July 12, 2013 7:08 AM
  • I'm using Windows Server 2012. It turns out that granting the site server computer account share access wasn't enough; I had to grant the site server's SYSTEM account share access also. Once I did that everything worked ok. I thought that I only had to use the computer account, but since the package source is on the same server I guess that it's using system to access it. Thank you everyone for your help!
    • Marked as answer by patissiere Friday, July 12, 2013 12:51 PM
    Friday, July 12, 2013 12:51 PM
  • That works for me too! Thanks.
    Friday, May 20, 2016 2:22 PM
  • I have a share located DFS which has all packages. I am getting following error while distributing content.

SCCM Configmgr the source directory doesn’t exist or the SMS service cannot access it, Win32 last error = 5

I also have added all my Primary site server and DP computer accounts to DFS share

Thursday, May 04, 2017 8:14 PM