none
Error during install - Log file cannot be found RRS feed

• Question

• We are having an issue during install of SCSM 2010 and wanted to check the log file but a search multiple times during multiple install attempts has not helped us find the log file.

%Temp%\SCSMInstall0X.log

Any suggestions? When is the log file created? What if the error message appears before setup completes due to management group names section?

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:24 AM

Answers

• Normally setup outputs 2 logs SCSMSetupxx.log and SCSMSetupWizardxx.log where xx is typically 01, 02, etc. corresponding to the number of install.

You should be able to find these logs under the users directory for the user doing the install.  The following is a sample directory path (substitute the user name of the install for <userName> in the following)C:\Users\<userName>\AppData\Local\Temp

In order to see the AppData directory, you may need to go into Folder options and set the radio button on Hidden files and folders for "Show hidden files, folders, and drives"

If setup does not find any errors in the setup specifications, it then starts the SCSM Msi.  The msi install log is typcially named SCSMInstallxx.log.  It usually is in the same directory.  I seen some msi install logs end up in a subdirectory such as C:\Users\<userName>\AppData\Local\Temp\1\ but I can't remember it happening for SCSM.  I believe that the msi install log path is listed in either the setup or wizard log file

To debug a failed install from the logs (especially a silent install), start first with the wizard and setup logs.  If you don't find any errors there, then you should be able to find an msi install log (SMSMInstallxx.log) which should show the error.

• Marked as answer by entityx Friday, December 10, 2010 10:34 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:08 PM

All replies

• Normally setup outputs 2 logs SCSMSetupxx.log and SCSMSetupWizardxx.log where xx is typically 01, 02, etc. corresponding to the number of install.

You should be able to find these logs under the users directory for the user doing the install.  The following is a sample directory path (substitute the user name of the install for <userName> in the following)C:\Users\<userName>\AppData\Local\Temp

In order to see the AppData directory, you may need to go into Folder options and set the radio button on Hidden files and folders for "Show hidden files, folders, and drives"

If setup does not find any errors in the setup specifications, it then starts the SCSM Msi.  The msi install log is typcially named SCSMInstallxx.log.  It usually is in the same directory.  I seen some msi install logs end up in a subdirectory such as C:\Users\<userName>\AppData\Local\Temp\1\ but I can't remember it happening for SCSM.  I believe that the msi install log path is listed in either the setup or wizard log file

To debug a failed install from the logs (especially a silent install), start first with the wizard and setup logs.  If you don't find any errors there, then you should be able to find an msi install log (SMSMInstallxx.log) which should show the error.

• Marked as answer by entityx Friday, December 10, 2010 10:34 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:08 PM
  • If you are changing to %TEMP% in a command prompt, make sure you are at the root of %TEMP% (\users\<userid>AppData\Local\Temp) and not in a session temp folder (\users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Temp\n ) where "n" is a session number.
    Friday, November 12, 2010 8:49 PM