none
Task Sequence Manager could not initialize Task Sequence Environment. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have another problem when running a rebuild computer Task Sequence via an advertisement on a HP DC770.  This computer has been deployed from the factory with the factory Windows XP still installed (not my choice), and hence still contains an E: partition which is the HP Recovery Partition.

This HP Recovery Partition contains within a MININT folder, as well as several other folders and files, all are locked, and not accessible.

When we try to run an OSD to rebuild the computer from a Task Sequence it fails to begin the Task Sequence.  We get the following errors:-

execmgr.log
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Raised Program Started Event for Ad: SYD20008, Package: SYD0001E, Program: *
    Getting member download locations for program * package SYD00001
    <Goes through each of the programs in the task sequence without any errors> .......
    Getting member download locations for program Install package SYD0001B
    Program exit code 16389
    Looking for MIF file to get program status
    Script for Package: SYD0001E, Program: * failed with exit code 16389
    Raising event: [SMS_CodePage(437), SMS_LocaleID(1033)] instance of SoftDistProgramErrorEvent
    {
        AdvertisementId = "SYD20008";
        ClientID = "GUID:51F127CD-9E54-44C4-BCDB-1EFE91539E52";
        DateTime = "20080618043210.703000+000";
        ExitCode = "16389";
        MachineName = "SYDHP110";
        PackageName = "SYD0001E";
        ProcessID = 328;
        ProgramName = "*";
        SiteCode = "SYD";
        ThreadID = 1512;
        UserContext = "NT AUTHORITY\\SYSTEM";
    };
    Raised Program Error Event for Ad: SYD20008, Package: SYD0001E, Program: *
    Execution is complete for program *. The exit code is 16389, the execution status is FailureNonRetry
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

smsts.log
    DeviceIoControl() failed with GetLastError() = 1
    Ignoring inaccessible volume 'C:'
    DeviceIoControl() failed with GetLastError() = 1
    Ignoring inaccessible volume 'D:'
    We do not find an available volume to store the local data path
    .....      .....
    The TSM local data path must be set in full OS
    Task Sequence Manager could not initialize Task Sequence Environment. code 80004005
    Task sequence execution failed with error code 80004005
    .....      .....
    Error executing Task Sequence Manager service. Code 0x80004005

Now I guess that the problem is related to the line Ignoring inaccessible volume 'C:', but the volume is accessible, so I am not sure why the task sequence cannot access the volume.

Although running the Task Sequence from an advertisement fails, using a PXE boot to initiate a build works fine, and subsequently once the computer is built using a PXE boot, we are able to successfully execute the original rebuild computer Task Sequence from an advertisement.

Has anyone come across this problem before?

Thank you,

Sally.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 10:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Think you're right that this errors is regarding the disk and can occur for instance:

- When the OS is installed on a partition with full hard drive space

- When a hard disk is corrupt

- The task sequence does not have a disk partition sequence.

- A task sequence is configured to apply the operating system to Specific Disk
    and partition which is not available, like Disk 1 partition 1.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:13 AM

All replies

•  

Have you tried using DISKPART to remove those partitions and volumes first? 

During the task sequence, hit F8 and that will bring up the command line, then run the DISKPART command and delete everything on the disk.  Shouldn't need to format it or recreate the partitions, since the SCCM taks sequence should be able to do that for you.  Real goal is to get the disk totally blank.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:17 PM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply.

The build works fine if you boot from PXE into WinPE, it just fails when you try to initiate the Task Sequence from an advertisement.  We need this so that we can rebuild remote users with them having to do anything to kick off the build, and also because we are using USMT with State Migration Points as part of the rebuild computer Task Sequence, so preforming a clean build from PXE boot will wipe that data.
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:17 PM
  • Hi,

Think you're right that this errors is regarding the disk and can occur for instance:

- When the OS is installed on a partition with full hard drive space

- When a hard disk is corrupt

- The task sequence does not have a disk partition sequence.

- A task sequence is configured to apply the operating system to Specific Disk
    and partition which is not available, like Disk 1 partition 1.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:13 AM
  • Code Snippet

because we are using USMT with State Migration Points as part of the rebuild computer Task Sequence, so preforming a clean build from PXE boot will wipe that data

Well, using USMT doesn't necesarily negate the use of the a clean wipe.  If you run your task sequence so that it first saves the user state to your SMP, then reboots, wipes the disk, applies the image and restores the users settings, wouldn't that accomplish your goals?
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:39 PM
  • Hey Sally,

I know this thread is nearly a year old, but I ran into this error on a local machine here, and came across the following article.  This worked great for me, so I hope that it might help somebody else.  It's certainly not something that I would have figured out on my own, so props to Rich Pesenko for writing this great article.

http://blogs.technet.com/smsandmom/archive/2007/10/29/sccm-2007-task-sequence-fails-drive-letter-not-displayed.aspx

CD Shriver
    Friday, July 10, 2009 1:56 PM
  • hi
    i got 00000032 error on task sequence
    i want to capture win 7
    i made build and capture task sequence and finally disabled build part
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:22 PM
  • hi
    Error Task Sequence Manager failed to execute task sequence. Code 0x80004005
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 5:45 PM
  • hi
    i got 00000032 error on task sequence
    i want to capture win 7
    i made build and capture task sequence and finally disabled build part
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:48 AM
  • as i've asked you before, pleae raise only ONE topic regarding your current problem which is about capturing windows 7

and here's how to do just that > http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1543-how-can-i-capture-windows-7/

My step by step SCCM Guides
    Follow me on Twitter
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:29 AM
  • hi
    thank u for answer
    i saw that link,but is it possible to capture without import anythings,just with easy step
    is this true to make built and capture TS and disable capture part ????
    thanks
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:40 AM