none
Cluster Shared Volume Space Monitoring

Question

• Hi Guys

i know Microsoft will release the updated Cluster MP to monitor space usage on your cluster shared volumes on Win2008 and 2003 in the future, in the meantime what do you guys suggest on working around this until the MP is released?

Is any one aware of a script that can output your clustered shared volumes into readable format for operations manager to react upon? I am thinking of writing a collection rule and then alert upon it but the challenge is to see the clustered shared volumes from a SCOM point of view (no targets )

We need to monitor our clustered shared volumes space and doing it the manual way is quite painful

cheers

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi.  Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, you can use the Windows Server 200x Logical Disk Free Space monitor from the Windows Server MP.  It discovers all logical disks, including shared disks within a cluster.
    Layne, 2011 Microsoft Community Contributor Recipient
    • Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, June 03, 2011 9:11 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:38 PM
  • For the detailed information, you can refer to the following article:

Monitor CSV Free Space:

http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=10339

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

You can try to create a script-based monitor using this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2010/06/19/10027366.aspx

http://OpsMgr.ru/
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:28 AM

All replies

• Hi.  Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, you can use the Windows Server 200x Logical Disk Free Space monitor from the Windows Server MP.  It discovers all logical disks, including shared disks within a cluster.
    Layne, 2011 Microsoft Community Contributor Recipient
    • Proposed as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:14 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:38 PM
  • One slight update - while there is an update planned that will start to show cluster nodes and cluster shared volumes, there is no plan to do any maintenance or update to the Windows Server 2003 management packs.  These are past the support period for management packs and are on the road to being removed entirely at some point down the road.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:46 PM
  • For the detailed information, you can refer to the following article:

Monitor CSV Free Space:

http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=10339

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:14 AM
  • thanks for the feedback

so we can say that this is not possible to do even by creating your own MP, there isnt a way for operations manager to read cluster shared volumes so that we can create monitors for them

Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:19 AM
  • Hi,

You can try to create a script-based monitor using this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2010/06/19/10027366.aspx

http://OpsMgr.ru/
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:28 AM
  • thanks Alexey this is what i was looking for, i will try the script based monitor and see if i get this working

Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:35 AM
  • These are past the support period for management packs and are on the road to being removed entirely at some point down the road.

Hi Dan,

is there a link were we can find information about the Microsoft support period for management packs? Until now I assumed the management packs were supported as long as there is (extended) support for the technology it is based on. But since Windows 2003 has extended support until 2015 (and main stream support ended last year), I guess I assumed wrong.

Any official information would be nice, so we can convince our management :)

Regards,
    Marc Klaver
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:12 AM
  • FYI: There is a sample MP for monitoring cluster shared volume on opsmanjam: http://www.opsmanjam.com/OpsManJam%20Library/Forms/MP%20folder%20view.aspx?RootFolder=%2fOpsManJam%20Library%2fManagement%20Packs&FolderCTID=&View=%7b28F6035C%2d64EB%2d43DD%2dAE64%2d039B5C85A626%7d 

Look for MCS.Sample.ClusterSharedVolumeMonitoring:

This Operations Manager 2007 management pack (MP) sample shows how to monitor the fault state of and the free space on cluster shared volumes on Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V failover clusters. This is currently not included in the cluster MP.

Jens 

Friday, May 27, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Management pack support ends when the product goes out of mainstream support.  For extended support customers, the ability to hotfix request a bug still exists as part of that contract.  The product teams (if exist) who own the MP sustain engineering will triage the bug.  For the older MP's such as the 2003 OS, this is the Operations Manager team.

I will ask our program manager who maintains the support statements to respond on the thread with the link - this has been published a number of times and places I know.

What would you convince them of?  Just curious - that the packs go out of support?

For the support team members who watch the threads, I will pre-empt the inevitible - "we in support will always do our best to support every customer who calls no matter what the official written support policy says."  These are great folks who care deeply about customer success with our products - <cheers>

Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, May 27, 2011 4:01 PM
  • What would you convince them of?  Just curious - that the packs go out of support?

If it is up to the managers, we still would be monitoring NT 4.0, because customers do run those servers still. And also a lot of Windows 2000/2003 servers exist in the real world.

If support for a management pack no longer exists, it would be a lot easier for us to de-commision those management packs (instead of running them forever). Because one rule is very important to management: "Only supported software is allowed in the environment."

And new management pack development from Microsoft (or any other vendor) will not take into account "our whish" to support old/obsolete versions.

DNS 2000 is a good example, not supported any more with the latest DNS MP. So should we keep the old one for DNS 2000 only? Reading the MP guide for the new version, this is not supported (running any other DNS MP with the latest release is not supported).

So having some kind of official statement about the support period for management packs, would make it a lot easier for us ;)

Regards,
    Marc Klaver
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Saturday, May 28, 2011 1:29 PM
  • thanks Jens, i imported the MP

just a question, will the MP discovery rules run against all my 2008 clusters in my environment or do i need to use the run as profile solution to target all my clusters?

Monday, May 30, 2011 7:37 AM
  • As long as the Agent on the cluster nodes can access WMI locally (default Local System is fine) the MP will detect the cluster shared volumes on Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM and higher (build number >= 7600).

Jens

Monday, May 30, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Hi Jens

Im currently setting the parameters to alert me when the csv volumes reaches a certain % free space threshold. I also see that there is another monitor that you can change the free MB threshold.

must both monitor thresholds be breached before an alert is raised? (Similar to the built in SCOM disk space monitor)

Cheers

Friday, June 03, 2011 9:44 AM
  • No, it is an OR condition (in contrast to the AND condition of the logical disk space monitoring included in the Windows Server OS MP). Remember, that the unit monitors only generate a warning alert whereas the aggregate monitor generates the critical alert:

There are 2 unit monitors for free space, MB and %, which will create an alert when the Warning threshold is crossed. The health
     of these monitors is rolled up to an aggregate monitor usin the alorithm 'Worst Of'. The aggregate monitor will create an
     alert with the severity Critical when its health state changes to Critical.
     The fault state unit monitor detects the fault state of the targeted cluster shared volume and will alert when the monitor
     health changes from Healthy to Critical. The NTFS state monitor is a place holder and disabled by default. Currently, the
     NTFS state is not exposed in the MSCluster WMI namespace and the respective PowerShell class instance always returns 'Unknown'.

The MP enables agent cook-down meaning the monitoring script is only run once each interval returning the values for all cluster shared volumes
     of a cluster.

Jens

Tuesday, June 07, 2011 11:02 AM