none
Web Console and Reporting RRS feed

• Question

• Using the Web Console instead of deploying the management console to a big bunch of admin workstations often make sense. Big adavantage today: there's no access to reporting integrated to in Opsmgr Web Console (neither 2007 nor 2007 R2). The only way today is to start a report via management console add him to my favs and I will have access to this report via Web Console. But why isn't it possible to access the corresponding reports like used to do in management console?

Any idea how to workaround this disadvantage?

Alex

Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:44 AM

Answers

• the web console is not designed for ops mgr administrators or anyone tuning/author management packs. It is designed for operators or maybe system owner/customer that just want to see the curent status. If you have a number of administrators I guess they will need to perform other tasks too that will require the real console.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:18 PM

All replies

• I am not aware of a workaround for that, as you said, you can access the reports you have in "my favorites".
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:14 PM
  • If you have 10 or 20 admins you have to give them the webconsole as the most performant way to work with SCOM 2007 R2.

Can anybody from dev-team confirm that there's no way to give the web console admin user the same possibility to start reports like the guys using the management console?

That's really not a workaround telling all the admins that they have to start at first the management console before they can use the web console.

It would be a great pleasure getting a response to this issue.

Thanks.

Alex

Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:47 PM
  • the web console is not designed for ops mgr administrators or anyone tuning/author management packs. It is designed for operators or maybe system owner/customer that just want to see the curent status. If you have a number of administrators I guess they will need to perform other tasks too that will require the real console.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:18 PM
  • I'm sorry, Anders, that's not true!
    Most of my customers are really satisfied with the possibilities of Web console of R2. That is what Microsoft is propagating and - most important - the customers were told by SEs of Microsoft to prefer the use of web console because each started management console needs memory on RMS ... looking on 10 or 20 admins that makes even more sense ... if this statement is true!

This answer isn't acceptable, with all respect. It's just the integration of reporting that is missed, that's all.

I wish someone of the development would comment this.

Alex
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:23 PM
  • I will see if I can get any of the PG to comment. I think what you have heard is that each console makes a connector to the RMS, and it is the same with web console. Maybe it use less bandwidth but it still makes a connection.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Anybody telling you that the webconsole "uses less memory on the RMS" is lying. The webconsole uses the SDK just as the 'full' console does. Listing the Active Alerts or Computers view (or anything else for that matter) uses the same API calls. Given that IIS hosts those web users you could even say that from a server perspective the Webconsole requires more resources.

Now for your original question: no there is no supported way of showing reports inside the Webconsole. You would either direct them to the SQL SRS website, build a custom webconsole or do the Reports to My Favorites trick.

I do agree that in 90% of the cases the R2 Webconsole can do the trick for operators and admins. You would require the 'full' console for authoring, comprehensive reporting and the administration sections.

Best regards, Maarten Goet
    __

System Center Operations Manager MVP

Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Hi Alex,

I'm not sure whether this will help at all... but in 2 of my customer environments, what the main OpsMgr admin did was to schedule some of the neccessary reports to be mailed periodically to the relevant admins.

I understand that your need may be more of being able to generate the reports on an ad-hoc basis.

As Anders checks with the relevant PGs, I will also help to get their attention and direct them to this thread.

Ray C
    Ray Chou | MVP SCOM | http://mymomexperience.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by ESMMgr Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:00 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Hi Friends,
    I also encountered the same issue.
    My we are monitoring our clients servers. Our client asked us to give a web console access to them, from where, they can view the alerts and they can take reports directly as per their requirement.

I think this is a bug in SCOM 2007 R2 since these kind of requirements are vary common.

Regards,
    ESM Mgr
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Hi Friends,
    I also encountered the same issue.
    My we are monitoring our clients servers. Our client asked us to give a web console access to them, from where, they can view the alerts and they can take reports directly as per their requirement.

I think this is kind of bug in SCOM 2007 R2 since these kind of requirements are vary common.

Regards,
    ESM Mgr

Thursday, September 3, 2009 1:05 PM