Dynamic Optimization not working as expected RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using SCVMM 2012 for quite sometime and thought I was comfortable with the way Dynamic Optimization works.  But now I am questioning that.

I have just implemented a new cluster and completed the first maintenance cycle on that cluster where I MANUALLY placed each host into maintenance mode, patched the host and removed the host from maintenance mode after the patching was complete.  Since I have the capacity in my 8-node cluster I place 3 Hyper-V hosts at a time into maintenance mode.  

Following the completion of all patching and rebooting, and the subsequent removal of all Hyper-V hosts from maintenance mode, I was left with 3 hosts (the last 3 I had in maintenance mode) without a running VMs.  Since I have Dynamic Optimization enabled for the host group, I assumed that over time, SCVMM would move the some of the workloads (~250 VMs in total) across to the "empty" hosts.  However this never happened.

First I attempted to run DO manually, but SCVMM reports that no resource optimizations are available for this host cluster.  I thought this odd given that all of the "loaded" hosts have less than 10GB free according to SCVMM (well below specified thresholds with some being as low as 2GB) and that the "empty" hosts have over 180GB free.

I have tried a variety of settings for host reserves and DO thresholds but as of yet I cannot trigger any movement to the empty hosts.  I am looking for suggestions as to how to overcome this problem.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:47 PM

All replies

• Have you installed CU2 for System Center 2012? I will suggest that you try this before you're running DO again.

CU2: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2706783

There's been some issues related to placement related to memory on the hosts prior to this update.

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )

Sunday, August 19, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Excellent suggestion, and I would love to.  However...

Every time I attempt to install CU2 I receive an error "Cloud not write value IndigoTcpPort to key \Software\Microsoft\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager Server\Settings.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."

Of course, I do have access to that key...

Monday, August 20, 2012 4:09 AM
  • So I removed the SCVMM Server (retaining the DB) and re-installed.  This allowed me to get CU2 installed as well.

However, so far no change in behavior with DO.

Monday, August 20, 2012 3:22 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same behavior

SMaximus7

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 2:11 PM