User Targeted applications not appearing in Software center RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, 

i have a handful of devices where available applications are not appearing in the software centre GUI. 

required application deployments work and the application web catalog displays the available applications which is strange. 

When checking the SCClient.log i get the following message 

GetApplicationsAsync: The operation has timed out.. Unable to fetch user categories, unknown communication problem.               (Microsoft.SoftwareCenter.Client.ViewModels.SoftwareListViewModel+<LoadAppCatalogApplicationsAsync>d__131 at MoveNext)

ive performed the following troubleshooting on the device

•            manually removed the sccm client and reinstalled using command switches
    •            reinstalled the SCCM client using the wizard
    •            repaired .net framework and checked folder permissions.
    •            ran the WMI repair tool
    •            repaired silverlight

has anyone experienced this and any suggestions i havent explored are most appreciative.

I am currently running SCCM CB 1802

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 4:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

It is suggested to update your SCCM to at least 1806 because starting in 1806 application catalog roles are no longer required to display user-available applications in Software Center. Refer to this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/apps/plan-design/plan-for-and-configure-application-management#starting-in-version-1806

Don't forget to update the client to the latest version after updating the SCCM.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remembers to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 5:08 AM
  • Thanks. In the mean time how do i get the user targeted applications to appear in software centre?

the application catalog was an example of being able to view applications.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 5:20 AM
  • Hello,

Are the clients on these affected machines up to date? Could user get the available application via the catalog link in the software center?

Best Regards,
    Ray

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 8:34 AM
  • For operation timeout errors I would check if your client and user policy are being updated

Have you confirmed that the users that you have rolled out to have got a primary device assigned with user/device affinity?

If you try running the user policy refresh on the client of a machine which does have a primary user does this help at all?

Website: www.walshamsolutions.com Technical Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/technical-blog Personal Blog: https://www.walshamsolutions.com/personal-blog Twitter: Dwalshampro

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 8:47 AM
  • Hello,

Are the clients on these affected machines up to date? Could user get the available application via the catalog link in the software center?

Best Regards,
    Ray

Hi Ray, 

Yes the user can access the catalog link fine but it doesn't appear in the software center GUI

Friday, April 26, 2019 12:39 AM
  • Hello Jason, 

After some online searching, I'm afraid there is not a exact solution for this issue. From my personal point of view, I still suggest to upgrade as soon as possible. At the mean time, affected clients could get applications from the catalog.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Monday, April 29, 2019 12:33 PM
  • If this happens for everyone, possible suggestion.  On your MPs, check IIS settings.  Specifically, get deep into Sites, Default Web Site, then CMUserService.  Then, double-click "HTTP Response Headers".  There are some values, I forget which ones now... which are common security-related header responses that one wants for IIS basic security, but in older versions of CM (yes, 1802 is old to me) if those header responses existed, could cause Software Center to 'not display' deserved things.  CAREFULLY record what you have there.

Then delete anything where entry type = local

Then go look again, but this time, look at CMUserService_WindowsAuth  and again, carefully record what you have, then delete anything where entry type=local.

Go check Software Center, and see if that made a difference. 

--also if you GET errors trying to get into viewing HTTP Response Headers on those two sub-things, that means that a higher level (like Default Web Site / HTTP Response Headers, or <Name of the server itself>/HTTP Response Headers, already has those exact named values--and THAT is the problem (I had that happen to me).  I had to go to that 'higher level', DELETE the 'local' that was there, THEN go to CMUserService/CMUserService_WindowsAuth, then Delete the "local" that were THERE, and then I could go "put back" the exact same values at the <name of the server> / HTTP Response Headers.

I know it makes no sense.  But that's what I had to do.

Now... the above is if Software Center is blank for everyone.  If it's "just a few people", the only other thing I've heard of that might be causing this is if, for example, those users are in some kind of Mobius-strip / infinity loop of group membership.  Like...  Group1 is a member of Group2, Group 2 is a member of Group 3, and Group 3 is a member of Group 1.  So it's just an awful nightmare of not really token bloat, but just timeouts because the CM client just can't really figure out what usergroups that particular user is really a part of.  It times out and gives up.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

• Proposed as answer by Alex Delaney Thursday, April 23, 2020 9:26 PM
    Monday, April 29, 2019 8:27 PM
  • I had this exact issue after we just upgraded to 1910. What Sherry suggested fixed it for us. Thanks Sherry!

Thursday, April 23, 2020 9:28 PM
  • This solved it for me when User-Deployed applications stopped showing up in Software Center.  We are running SCCM 1902, and it happened after a certficate update.
    <style></style>
    • Edited by Ztup Tuesday, August 18, 2020 2:57 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2020 2:57 PM