none
Some Inbound emails with attachments, being delivered as a .msg attachment RRS feed

• Question

• We recently began receiving some emails from external customers/suppliers that contain PDF attachments, but the PDF isn't in the email, but rather the attachment is another .msg file which you then have to open to retrieve an attached PDF.  It is not all incoming email that does this.  Thoughts?   We use Barracuda spam filter appliance, but have searched their site and everywhere else.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 2:43 PM

Answers

• Hi weaton-weber,

Usually, Exchange will not transfer pdf attachments into msg. Have you found anything in common about your issue? For example, specific senders? Or  from specific domain?  

Does the problem exist both in Outlook and OWA?

Have you tested sending emails with pdf attachments from external domain. Post the result please.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 10:01 AM

All replies

• Are you sure the issue isn't on the sender's side? Some appliance/add-in sending the PDFs in such manner?
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:50 PM
  • Hi weaton-weber,

Usually, Exchange will not transfer pdf attachments into msg. Have you found anything in common about your issue? For example, specific senders? Or  from specific domain?  

Does the problem exist both in Outlook and OWA?

Have you tested sending emails with pdf attachments from external domain. Post the result please.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 10:01 AM
  • hi,

This may be happen when you use Email security gateway. 

Please check your Firewall or email security gateway logs/configuration to resolve this.

Trace email from firewall/ spam gateway and exchange side. Then you can find root cause

Thursday, November 21, 2019 9:21 AM
  • Thanks.  I have not reached out to the sender yet.  We have a Barracuda SPAM filter and I just called support and they do not do that with attachments.  Next step will be the sender.
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:07 PM
  • Thanks.  I'm taking that approach now.  What I'm finding is commonality between senders.  Crowdstrike being one of them.  I'm going to reach out to them and see if I can find out what's happening.
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:14 PM
  • Hi, I'm here to confirm with you if your issue has been resolved. If the problem is successfully solved, you can share your solution and mark them or the helpful reply as answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Monday, November 25, 2019 10:42 AM
  • Hi, I'm here to confirm with you if your issue has been resolved. If the problem is successfully solved, you can share your solution and mark them or the helpful reply as answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Regards,

Eric Yin

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:26 AM