none
How do I manage WIM's and service packs?

Question

• Hi All,

Im sure this comes across as a generic question but I have spent all day searching for answers and can't seem to find anything.

Example:

I've created an XP SP1a WIM image. It's in SCCM, deploying fine and everything is great. What do I do when SP2 comes out? Keeping in mind I dont want to apply it as an update after the image has been deployed (I much prefer to deploy/install from the latest compiled version for stability).

Is the only way to do this create a new WIM each service pack? If it is thats quite frustrating having to make a new one every SP then send it down the lines to replace the old ones. I thought you could do an offline application of it but I hit a wall with that too.

Im looking for solution for all the main Windows OS' (XP/Vista/Win7/Svr2k3/Svr2k8 etc)

Thanks in advance,

-Dan
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 4:46 AM

Answers

• well as you are using SCCM already then why not consider using the SUP (software update point) component as well, with the SUP you can push out windows updates including service packs... and get nice reports to show your boss as well..

creating a new WIM every time theres a service pack is a lot of work especially if you have lots of models to support,

as you are talking about multiple os's I would recommend the SUP route, if you want a quick guide on setting up same then look here

it does take a bit of getting used to but once you've grasped SUP you'll be patching like there is no tomorrow, and no need to recreate your WIM's either

the other alternative is to just create software packages and send out the service pack to collections which are marked for update

cheers
    niall
    my SCCM step by step Guides > http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1064
    • Marked as answer by Dan.Dufus Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:23 AM
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 6:51 AM
  • Keeping in mind I dont want to apply it as an update after the image has been deployed
    [...]
    Is the only way to do this create a new WIM each service pack?

Yes, you have to create a new .wim (if you don't want to apply the service pack after the .wim is deployed to the client).
    There are basically just 2 choices:
    - create a new .wim
    - apply the SP afterwards (using software updates or software distribution)

I would use the first one (deployment of an OS is much faster if the SP is already included in the .wim. Installing it afterwards takes ages)
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:19 AM

All replies

• well as you are using SCCM already then why not consider using the SUP (software update point) component as well, with the SUP you can push out windows updates including service packs... and get nice reports to show your boss as well..

creating a new WIM every time theres a service pack is a lot of work especially if you have lots of models to support,

as you are talking about multiple os's I would recommend the SUP route, if you want a quick guide on setting up same then look here

it does take a bit of getting used to but once you've grasped SUP you'll be patching like there is no tomorrow, and no need to recreate your WIM's either

the other alternative is to just create software packages and send out the service pack to collections which are marked for update

cheers
    niall
    my SCCM step by step Guides > http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1064
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 6:51 AM
  • Keeping in mind I dont want to apply it as an update after the image has been deployed
    [...]
    Is the only way to do this create a new WIM each service pack?

Yes, you have to create a new .wim (if you don't want to apply the service pack after the .wim is deployed to the client).
    There are basically just 2 choices:
    - create a new .wim
    - apply the SP afterwards (using software updates or software distribution)

I would use the first one (deployment of an OS is much faster if the SP is already included in the .wim. Installing it afterwards takes ages)
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:19 AM
  • I'm afraid there is no easy way, but if you create your image using best practices the job isn't as big as one could expect. By best practice I'm talking about using a build and capture task sequence. As long as this is up and running with all apps, drivers and what not, building a new image is as simple as changing the task for OS Install Package.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Thankyou very much. Looks like I'll be making a few new images this week :)

Incidentally being able to apply service packs to mounted WIM would be fantastic..hopefully one day that will be an option!

-Dan
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:22 AM
  • You could try this link: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/230249-sliptream-vista-sp2.html
    There are some points here that applies to your problem, but I'm not sure if you can apply this to a customized wim.
    Also check out vlite.net.
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 7:38 AM