none
SQL MP 7.0.15.0 non-SQL servers with alerts RRS feed

• Question

• Since I imported SQL MP 7.0.15.0 all the non-SQL servers I'm monitoring are reporting that

"An account specified in the Run As profile
    "Microsoft.SQLServer.Core.RunAs.Discovery" cannot be resolved."

The non-SQL servers are not targeted by the RunAs account and the various SQL Profiles all point to the correct RunAs accounts.

I cannot see a 'Microsoft SQL Server Core Run As Discovery' Profile to check targeted RunAs accounts against.

Any idea what is going on?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:45 AM

Answers

• I had a quick look and it indeed seems that the Microsoft.SQLServer.IS.Windows.LocalSeedDiscovery discovery is targeted at Microsoft.Windows.Server.Computer, which means it will run for every windows server currently monitored by SCOM.

And since it uses the Microsoft.SQLServer.Core.RunAs.Discovery RunAs profile, it will try to use the account(s) configured in that profile instead of LocalSystem.

So if you added a RunAs account to that RunAs profile and left it with the default "for all targeted objects" option, that explains why you are seeing this message.

But using a scripted seed discovery asociated with a runas profile feels odd in the first place, it kind of negates the whole point of using a seed discovery...

• Marked as answer by Eric G-S Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:12 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:50 PM

All replies

• That alert means that some workflow tries to run on a server under the RunAs account defined in that RunAsProfile (whose display name actually is "Microsoft SQL Server Discovery Run As Profile"), but that this account is not distributed to that server.

You can see a list of every workflow that may use that RunAs here (click on "show references") : https://systemcenter.wiki/?GetElement=Microsoft.SQLServer.Core.RunAs.Discovery&Type=SecureReference&ManagementPack=Microsoft.SQLServer.Core.Library&Version=7.0.15.0

I'm pretty convinced that these servers have "some" SQL component which cause one of these workflow to run. 
    • Edited by CyrAz Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:55 AM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 9:51 AM
  • CyrAz thank you for your reply.

Of the References mentioned I'm only running Microsoft.SQLServer.IS.Windows . None of the servers with the alert have MSSQL installed and include RDS Session Hosts, Domain Controllers and SCOM Management Servers. So they may all reference other SQL servers but don't run it. None of the actual SQL servers have this alert.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:58 AM
  • I had a quick look and it indeed seems that the Microsoft.SQLServer.IS.Windows.LocalSeedDiscovery discovery is targeted at Microsoft.Windows.Server.Computer, which means it will run for every windows server currently monitored by SCOM.

And since it uses the Microsoft.SQLServer.Core.RunAs.Discovery RunAs profile, it will try to use the account(s) configured in that profile instead of LocalSystem.

So if you added a RunAs account to that RunAs profile and left it with the default "for all targeted objects" option, that explains why you are seeing this message.

But using a scripted seed discovery asociated with a runas profile feels odd in the first place, it kind of negates the whole point of using a seed discovery...

• Marked as answer by Eric G-S Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:12 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:50 PM
  • Thank You. I replaced all the "for all targeted objects" on our management domain runas account, which used to work correctly, with a targeted group of SQL servers for that domain. This has cleared the alerts, but I'll be monitoring for any other surprises.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:15 PM