none
Cannot open SCCM Admin Console

Question

• Hi,

Server: Windows Server 2008 x32 with SCCM 2007 R2(SP2). Remote database server SQL 2008.

After upgrading SCCM from SP1 to SP2 I cannot open de SCCM admin console on the site server (local). When I open the admin console from a XP-client I can connect without problems. Before upgrading de admin console works fine. I use a domain admin account, that is local admin on the server and member of SMS Admins on the site server.

This is the error: The ConfigMgr console could not connect to the ConfigMgr site database. Verify that this computer has network connectivity to the SMS Provider computer and that your user account has Remote Activation permissions on both the ConfigMgr site server and SMS Provider computers. For more information, see "How to Configure DCOM Permissions for Configuration Manager Console Connections" in ConfigMgr Help.

When I click details I get this information: Registry key 'Software\Microsoft\ConfigMgr\AdminUI\QueryProcessors\WQL' not found

I did check on the forums(http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgradminconsole/thread/4f1d5602-2391-4e38-bdce-0cd6e97f5f55) here and did the following:

1. Check DCOM rights(account I use is local admin and member of sms admins), http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb633148.aspx, I gave SMS admins all launch and activation permissions.
    2. 2 Checked WMI rights, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932151.aspx
    3. I deleted my profile from the server. Restarted the server and try it again, same issue.

I checked my registry with regedit, I don't have this entry at all: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ConfigMgr\AdminUI\QueryProcessors\WQL

When I open the admin console from a client with the same account i succesfully connect to the site.

Info from SmsAdminUi.log:

Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.SmsConnectionException\r\nRegistry key 'Software\Microsoft\ConfigMgr\AdminUI\QueryProcessors\WQL' not found\r\n   at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.GetConnectionManagerInstance(String connectionManagerInstance)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.SmsSiteConnectionNode.BuildTreeWorker()\r\nNo details are available for this error.\r\n
    [3][10/1/2010 11:55:51 AM] :Failure while loading required 'WQL' query engine, console cannot connect

Kind regards John

Friday, October 01, 2010 10:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Run the console with the switch /sms:NoRestore

C:\Program Files\Configuration Manager\AdminUI\Bin\adminconsole.msc /sms:NoRestore

Other useful switches are;

/sms:ResetSettings - restores the views (column width and column order) to default settings.

/sms:IgnoreExtensions - doesn''t load extensions, perfect for debugging

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:27 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Bechir,

I did the wbemtest, followed instructions and 1 object was found: SMS_ProviderLocation.Sitecode="ABC". That's good I think?

Tried to open Admin console afterwards, but can't open, I get the same error.

Some extra info, I also changed the SMS provider before SP2. The SMS Provider was placed on the remote database server. Because WAIK was a prerequisite for SP2, I installed the SMS provider on the site server. I did that because I didn't want to install WAIK on a dedicated SQL Server. I don't know if the change of the SMS Provider is causing the problem with the SCCM Admin Console.

• Edited by JohnUys Friday, October 01, 2010 1:48 PM extra info
    Friday, October 01, 2010 12:24 PM
  • Rename the Adminconsole file under \document and settings\%username%\application data\microsoft\mmc then open the console again.
    Friday, October 01, 2010 1:43 PM
  • I did that and opened the console, but I still have the same problem.

Have u allready seen the extra info I put in my previous post? Maybe that helps...

Friday, October 01, 2010 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

Could you enable verbose logging to get more info http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb633406.aspx

Friday, October 01, 2010 2:06 PM
  • I found this in my log, seems like some components are not installed properly:

Back up customizable files:    Completed
    Create and initialize site database:    Completed
    Transfer files:    Completed
    Install SMS provider components:    Completed
    Register controls:    Completed
    Upgrade inboxes:    Completed
    Upgrade site control file:    Completed
    Initialize Configuration Manager site:    Completed
    Install site component manager:    Completed
    Update default boot image packages:    Completed
    Create program group:    Completed
    Install Configuration Manager services (site component manager):    Completed
    Install component monitor:    Unknown
    Install SMS executive:    In Process...
    Install database notification monitor:    In Process...
    Install site control manager:    In Process...
    Install hierarchy manager:    In Process...
    Install inbox manager:    In Process...
    Install policy provider:    In Process...
    Install MP control manager:    In Process...
    Install management point:    Unknown

Any suggestions?

Friday, October 01, 2010 3:42 PM
  • I'm now back to SP1 and the console is working again. I have a lot of errors in my Windows Application Log. I also had this problem with SP2, I've seen this just before I went back to SP1(snapshot).

I guess I need to make SCCM work properly before going to SP2. These are the errors i get:

It begins with:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        SMS Server
    Date:          10/4/2010 5:08:08 PM
    Event ID:      1018
    Task Category: SMS_EXECUTIVE
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      NLLISSCCM01.bakkernet.biz
    Description:
    On 10/04/10 17:08:08, component SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER on computer NLLISSCCM01 reported:  SMS Site Component Manager is reinstalling this component on this site system.

one minute later I get this error:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        SMS Server
    Date:          10/4/2010 5:08:56 PM
    Event ID:      1020
    Task Category: SMS_EXECUTIVE
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      NLLISSCCM01.bakkernet.biz
    Description:
    On 10/04/10 17:08:56, component SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER on computer NLLISSCCM01 reported:  SMS Site Component Manager failed to reinstall this component on this site system.

Solution: Review the previous status messages to determine the exact reason for the failure. SMS Site Component Manager will automatically retry the reinstallation in  minutes. To force SMS Site Component Manager to immediately retry the reinstallation, stop and restart SMS Site Component Manager using the SMS Service Manager.

The message above is about SMS_EXECUTIVE, I also get them for SMS_DATABASE_NOTIFICATION_MONITOR, SMS_AI_KB_MANAGER, SMS_AMT_CONTROL-mANAGER, sms_despooler, sms_hierarchy_manager and many more...

Monday, October 04, 2010 3:33 PM
  • Hi,

Run the console with the switch /sms:NoRestore

C:\Program Files\Configuration Manager\AdminUI\Bin\adminconsole.msc /sms:NoRestore

Other useful switches are;

/sms:ResetSettings - restores the views (column width and column order) to default settings.

/sms:IgnoreExtensions - doesn''t load extensions, perfect for debugging

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Eric Zhang CHN Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:27 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:56 AM