none
Why can you modify Incident Classification and Change Area, but can't modify Service Request Area? RRS feed

• Question

• Why is Service Request Area locked down so you can't modify it (I can re-name and add items, but I can't pair it down or re-order to fit my company's needs.)

Is there a way I can add this to a custom Management Pack and re-map the area so that I can have this look the way I need?

Monday, August 5, 2013 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Luis,

I feel your pain on this one - it is a common request. 

The reason it is "locked down" is because the values for this are located in a sealed management pack called "System Work Item Service Request Library".

Here's a sampling of options that you have at this point.

1. Keep the current MP in place and add your own new items mapped to a new management pack (it will require you create one when you go to add list items) and work with renaming and moving the existing fields strategically.  In my opinion this is the best option for you as it involves keeping the out of the box capabilities in place and doesn't create any extra hurdles down the line.
    2. Break out the authoring tool and customize the form by removing the Service Request Area field and adding your own in its place.  Of course this option would require that you re-write the reporting as well to maintain the out of the box functionality.  That route would require quite a bit more effort and certainly can cause concerns or potential issues for upgrades etc. as well.

As an example please view this video for how to add a custom field to forms in Service Manager via the Authoring Console: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5RSGAPwA9E

Here are a few other great examples:

Adding a custom field to Incident Forms

Customizing Forms – Part 1 – Adding a New User Picker Control to the Incident Form

Hope that helps Luis!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Ross Principal Consultant - Cireson Check out our System Center App Store JOIN THE SCSM VIRTUAL USER GROUP

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Luis,

I feel your pain on this one - it is a common request. 

The reason it is "locked down" is because the values for this are located in a sealed management pack called "System Work Item Service Request Library".

Here's a sampling of options that you have at this point.

1. Keep the current MP in place and add your own new items mapped to a new management pack (it will require you create one when you go to add list items) and work with renaming and moving the existing fields strategically.  In my opinion this is the best option for you as it involves keeping the out of the box capabilities in place and doesn't create any extra hurdles down the line.
    2. Break out the authoring tool and customize the form by removing the Service Request Area field and adding your own in its place.  Of course this option would require that you re-write the reporting as well to maintain the out of the box functionality.  That route would require quite a bit more effort and certainly can cause concerns or potential issues for upgrades etc. as well.

As an example please view this video for how to add a custom field to forms in Service Manager via the Authoring Console: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5RSGAPwA9E

Here are a few other great examples:

Adding a custom field to Incident Forms

Customizing Forms – Part 1 – Adding a New User Picker Control to the Incident Form

Hope that helps Luis!

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Ross Principal Consultant - Cireson Check out our System Center App Store JOIN THE SCSM VIRTUAL USER GROUP

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:16 AM
  • That's the thing I don't understand.  The Incident Classification and Change Area are also in Sealed Management Packs, yet I can edit those to fit my needs.  (Incident Management Library and System Work Item Change Request Library)  Like both of those, modifying them prompts me to create a new MP, which I did for the Service Requests.    I started doing the re-wording of the service request area, and while that works for some items, the fact that I can't modify how many children items are in the sub lists is what gives me issue. (If I wanted to remove some).

The issue with reporting does give me pause to create my own management pack and modify the template.  I guess I'll modify the children and leave the excess as a period instead of a word and hopefully the powers that be won't complain.

I guess this question is to why this is the only part out of all the sealed MPs I can't modify. 

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:47 PM