none
Monitor missing entry in a log file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I would like to monitor missing (as in expected) entries in a log file.

For example, I have an application that output its backup status to a log file each night. There is a STOP command written to the log file after each backup session and the data has been backed up. I would like to a receive an alert during the morning when a new STOP command hasn't been written to that log file for the last 12 hours.

Is it possible to do this? Any suggestions are highly appreciated! :)

Cheers.

• Edited by RonHextall Tuesday, May 16, 2017 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 2:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Ron,

you can look for missing entries in a log file if you get the Nice LogFile MP. It is really nice and an enhanced version of the SCOM log file monitoring.

The best thing is that the MP is free and you can get just by registering with Nice. The MP is well capable of detecting missing entries in log files. Here:

FREE SCOM Log File Monitoring – NiCE Log File Management Pack

we read:

"The experience that we have amassed over the years has taught us that the use cases and requirements for the NiCE Log File MP are manifold. Interestingly, analyzing log files also includes looking for lines that do not exist.

Some systems write health information in log files in regular intervals. As a Systems administrator, you ideally want to receive an alert if the logline indicating the heartbeat information is missing."

You can always ask here if you need assistance.

Hope I could help. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by Elton_JiModerator Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by RonHextall Friday, August 23, 2019 9:07 AM
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 2:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Ron,

you can look for missing entries in a log file if you get the Nice LogFile MP. It is really nice and an enhanced version of the SCOM log file monitoring.

The best thing is that the MP is free and you can get just by registering with Nice. The MP is well capable of detecting missing entries in log files. Here:

FREE SCOM Log File Monitoring – NiCE Log File Management Pack

we read:

"The experience that we have amassed over the years has taught us that the use cases and requirements for the NiCE Log File MP are manifold. Interestingly, analyzing log files also includes looking for lines that do not exist.

Some systems write health information in log files in regular intervals. As a Systems administrator, you ideally want to receive an alert if the logline indicating the heartbeat information is missing."

You can always ask here if you need assistance.

Hope I could help. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by Elton_JiModerator Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by RonHextall Friday, August 23, 2019 9:07 AM
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 2:32 PM
  • Hi Stoyan,

Thanks alot for the tip!

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 4:35 PM