Project Server 2010 - Edit Site Address for Project Site won't accept URL change RRS feed

• Question

• Hello again.

I have an unusual situation that has to do with changing a project site’s URL.  I’ve had little issues in the past with renaming or changing project site URL’s, but haven’t run across this particular behavior before.  Let’s go through the steps:

1. I navigate to a project’s site, Site Actions>Site Settings>Title, description, and icon.
    2. I then make a change to the URL name field.
    3. I return to PWA’s Server Settings>Project Sites and locate the project with the site I just renamed it’s URL.
    4. I highlight that project and select Edit Site Address.
    5. I enter in the new URL address of the site that was associated with this project.
    6. I Test URL to be sure I copied the address correctly.
    7. I select OK and that returns me to the Project Sites page.

Here’s where it goes awry.  The Site Address listed for this project, does not change.  It just stays the same as before and does not appear to accept my URL change.  No error messages, the address just stays the same as before the attempted change.  Thus the PWA users can’t get to the site (unless I give them the new address directly).  I can repeat these steps above with (so far) other projects within our environment with no issues.

But I have been able to narrow down this problem to a specific group of projects.  And with this particular group of projects, here is what I have found in common with each of these specific projects, that all exhibit this URL name change non-acceptance.

1. Each project appears to be a copy of a previously housed enterprise project.  It seems (without direct confirmation from the actual user) that the user created or opened an existing project, then proceeded to use the “Save As” feature within MS Project to quickly add a large group of named projects into PWA.
    2. Each of these sites that are associated with the (apparent) copied projects has been modified a good amount by the user.  So far it appears that the user changed most items within the Site Actions>Site Settings>Look and Feel, section of each site.

That takes us to our questions:

1. What might cause the Edit Site Address action to NOT accept a new URL of it’s previous site?
    2. Would copying enterprise projects or medium amounts of site modifications have anything to do with the ability to accept or not accept the new URL?

As always, thanks for the help.

Chris Addis - MCTS

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:52 PM

Answers

• After a troubleshooting session with a Microsoft Premier case worker, we were able to resolve this issue.  Posted below is a quick summary, lessons learned, and the steps taken to work around the still unknown cause for this URL name change issue.

Quick summary:

• Symptom - When changing site URL for a given Project site, the new URL is not sticking.
    • Cause - NA
    • Resolution - If you first remove the URL from Server Settings->Project Sites->Edit Site Address, then it will accept a new URL.

Lessons learned:

• Forcing a refresh (via the Remove the URL for the SharePoint site) should allow a misbehaving project to accept the new URL.
    • Although spaces and special characters can be used in the project name and site URL address, please discourage your users from excessive use of them.  When we originally tried to use the precise ULR address of a project site, we received this error:  "The specified site is not a child of the default site collection."  We could avoid this error if we used the site address, without the use of all the “%20” that take the place of the spaces.  Instead we used the actual space to proceed.  In some cases, we were able to identify 2-3 spaces in between text characters of projects names and project site URL names.  Adding tremendously to the amount of “%20” displayed in a URL.  So although allowed, these can cause an excessive increase the length of the URL address and at times return unwanted errors like the one displayed above.
    • Discourage users from copying enterprise projects or renaming them in rapid succession (i.e. using the "Save As" feature in MS Project) if they are housed within Project Server.  Encourage them instead, to use the provided Project Server Templates located within Microsoft Project->File->New->Project Server Templates.

Procedural steps to rename a project site URL:

1. Navigate to the Project Site you intend to change the URL on.
    2. In a separate window, and from within PWA, navigate to the Project Sites link located in the Operational Policies column in the Server Settings page.
    3. Locate the Project Name and Site Address of the project site you intend to make a change to the URL.  Highlight the row and click Edit Site Address.
    4. From within the Edit Site Address window, check the radio button Remove the URL for the SharePoint site.  Press OK.
    5. Return to your Project Site opened in the other window in step 1.
    6. From the Site Actions drop down menu select Site Settings.
    7. Under the Look and Feel section choose Title, description and icon.
    8. In the Web Site Address section, change the URL name to the desired name.
    9. (Important step) In the URL name text field, copy precisely what you entered.
    10. Press OK to confirm your URL name change.
    11. Return to your other window with the Project Web App>Project Sites page loaded.  Locate the Project Name of the project site you intend to add the new Site Address.  Highlight the row and click Edit Site Address.
    12. Select the Site URL text field and type “/PWA/”  (without the quotes)
    13. After the second slash, paste the copied site address you obtained from within Title, description and icon page from your project site.  Click the Test URL button to confirm proper entry.  Press OK.
    14. End

I hope this helps others in the future.  Many thanks to the Microsoft representative who assisted.

Chris Addis - MCTS

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

I think this one is ripe for a support call.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:46 PM
  • Gary,

Thanks for the response.  Yes, you may be right.  This case does seem like a peculiar and perhaps isolated incident.  If I don't find or hear anything from the community that sounds familiar to this case, I'll go ahead and elevate this case up to them.

If and when I do, I will try to return here to post the response or solution.

Chris Addis - MCTS

Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:38 PM
  • After a troubleshooting session with a Microsoft Premier case worker, we were able to resolve this issue.  Posted below is a quick summary, lessons learned, and the steps taken to work around the still unknown cause for this URL name change issue.

Quick summary:

• Symptom - When changing site URL for a given Project site, the new URL is not sticking.
    • Cause - NA
    • Resolution - If you first remove the URL from Server Settings->Project Sites->Edit Site Address, then it will accept a new URL.

Lessons learned:

• Forcing a refresh (via the Remove the URL for the SharePoint site) should allow a misbehaving project to accept the new URL.
    • Although spaces and special characters can be used in the project name and site URL address, please discourage your users from excessive use of them.  When we originally tried to use the precise ULR address of a project site, we received this error:  "The specified site is not a child of the default site collection."  We could avoid this error if we used the site address, without the use of all the “%20” that take the place of the spaces.  Instead we used the actual space to proceed.  In some cases, we were able to identify 2-3 spaces in between text characters of projects names and project site URL names.  Adding tremendously to the amount of “%20” displayed in a URL.  So although allowed, these can cause an excessive increase the length of the URL address and at times return unwanted errors like the one displayed above.
    • Discourage users from copying enterprise projects or renaming them in rapid succession (i.e. using the "Save As" feature in MS Project) if they are housed within Project Server.  Encourage them instead, to use the provided Project Server Templates located within Microsoft Project->File->New->Project Server Templates.

Procedural steps to rename a project site URL:

1. Navigate to the Project Site you intend to change the URL on.
    2. In a separate window, and from within PWA, navigate to the Project Sites link located in the Operational Policies column in the Server Settings page.
    3. Locate the Project Name and Site Address of the project site you intend to make a change to the URL.  Highlight the row and click Edit Site Address.
    4. From within the Edit Site Address window, check the radio button Remove the URL for the SharePoint site.  Press OK.
    5. Return to your Project Site opened in the other window in step 1.
    6. From the Site Actions drop down menu select Site Settings.
    7. Under the Look and Feel section choose Title, description and icon.
    8. In the Web Site Address section, change the URL name to the desired name.
    9. (Important step) In the URL name text field, copy precisely what you entered.
    10. Press OK to confirm your URL name change.
    11. Return to your other window with the Project Web App>Project Sites page loaded.  Locate the Project Name of the project site you intend to add the new Site Address.  Highlight the row and click Edit Site Address.
    12. Select the Site URL text field and type “/PWA/”  (without the quotes)
    13. After the second slash, paste the copied site address you obtained from within Title, description and icon page from your project site.  Click the Test URL button to confirm proper entry.  Press OK.
    14. End

I hope this helps others in the future.  Many thanks to the Microsoft representative who assisted.

Chris Addis - MCTS

Monday, May 13, 2013 7:30 PM
  • We have been having a similar problem lately with renaming of sites.  We have been using a documented procedure pretty much identical to the one above, but lately the Edit of the Site Address step has been refusing to "stick".  Cycling the URL seems to help.  You need to make sure you go into your Deliverables pane afterwards and accept server changes.  Also, we use a SQL report to identify downstream schedules that are linked to Deliverables emanating from a file.  You will also need to accept the server changes in the downstream files.
    Monday, August 15, 2016 3:02 PM